Sign in to follow this  
BrickMonkeyMOCs

[MOC/MOD] Mercedes W14 F1 & McLaren Solus GT Mod

Posted (edited)

After building the new Speed Champions McLaren F1 car I found that my upgraded W12 from the 2022 double pack wasn't really a good enough companion for it, so I've dismantled that model and rebuilt it into the W14 from the 2023 F1 season. The new car is built on the same chassis piece as the McLaren, allowing for the same lower driver position, and features new wings, floor, front axle, and engine, while retaining the best design features from the older model (i.e. the wing mirrors and sidepods). (The 1x2 slope on the nose will be replaced with the new non-grille version when I can get them from BrickLink. Note also that the design uses some BlueBrixx parts in a few places for stud reversal, which purists will need to replace with alternative parts.)

uxdHrf5.jpegWUJHHFC.jpeg

Instructions:  [LDraw]  [Studio]  [PDF]

As a bonus here's a reworking of the 2023 McLaren Solus GT I've recently updated to better capture the front end. Compared to the real car, the original set's front wheel arches extended too far forwards, leaving the cockpit section too central. This version corrects those proportions while also lowering the rear wing, giving the car a more accurate and aggressive profile.

5KSpnyu.jpeg

Instructions:  [LDraw]  [Studio]  [PDF]

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

Posted (edited)

I've taken a second shot at the W14. New version pictured below. Above instruction links will now take you to this version, with a new rear wing, engine cover, sidepods, floor, and mirrors which I think better represents the 2023 Mercedes F1 car.

Gc9G4q7.jpeg

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs