Sign in to follow this  
AlconW

Importing LDraw Model into Studio

Hello,

I'm having trouble properly adding an LDraw part to BrickLink Studio. The part in question is this

My instinct was to import the model into PartDesigner, but when I went to the 3D Object tab and attempted this, I was met with this. I believe that it is referring to the fact that it cannot find the three subparts that went into this model, but each submodel appears to be a separate download, and I can only import one model into PartDesigner at a time. Upon opening the file, I was greeted with this, obviously neither matching the look of the part nor its functionality.

How can I resolve this issue? For reference, I am a Mac user, and I'm trying to use Studio to build set 75187-1 (BB-8). Please let me know if I can provide any other information that can help you help me.

I will appreciate any and all assistance on this matter.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

You (obviously :grin:) need to download all the files Studio doesn’t yet have (or has in an older version).  You will need to create a folder named ‘s’ and put the subfiles (xxxs0x.dat) there.  Then, in PartDesigner, you import the main file and it will find and load the subfiles automatically.

Only the xxxs0x.dat files need to go in the ‘s’ folder.  It’s because they are referenced as s\xxxs0x.dat in the main (or upper) file.  All the other files (subparts or new primitives) go in the same folder as the main file.

Note that you need to restart PartDesigner when you add files (or create the ‘s’ subfolder): it caches its search results and if it failed to find some files or the ‘s’ folder, it won’t look again during the same session.

Edited by SylvainLS

3 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Hi,

You (obviously :grin:) need to download all the files Studio doesn’t yet have (or has in an older version).  You will need to create a folder named ‘s’ and put the subfiles (xxxs0x.dat) there.  Then, in PartDesigner, you import the main file and it will find and load the subfiles automatically.

Only the xxxs0x.dat files need to go in the ‘s’ folder.  It’s because they are referenced as s\xxxs0x.dat in the main (or upper) file.  All the other files (subparts or new primitives) go in the same folder as the main file.

Note that you need to restart PartDesigner when you add files (or create the ‘s’ subfolder): it caches its search results and if it failed to find some files or the ‘s’ folder, it won’t look again during the same session.

Thanks! Before I go ahead with trying this, I just want to clarify - where am I creating the 's' folder? Is it in the 'CustomParts' foldier in 'Stud.io,' or is it going somewhere else?

You create it in the folder where you put the downloaded files.  PD will inline these files (that is, replace their references by their contents) in the .dat file it will create.  You (generally) won’t need the downloaded files again after the model is imported in PartDesigner.

3 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

You create it in the folder where you put the downloaded files.  PD will inline these files (that is, replace their references by their contents) in the .dat file it will create.  You (generally) won’t need the downloaded files again after the model is imported in PartDesigner.

Perfect! I was able to import the part and, after setting up the connectivity, properly place it in my model. Thank you so much!