Sign in to follow this  
novareb

Ninjago Spinners- your thoughts?

Hi all!

As silly as it is, I've always had a fascination with Ninjago's big draw in those first two years- the spinners. I thought they were incredibly fun, and as a very poor kid in rural Virginia, I remember lusting after one for a long time, with only a singular card given to me by a friend. I did finally get a couple in year two, starting with NRG Cole and eventually getting a couple of that year's, but unfortunately they were discontinued in 2013, and never brought back. The replacements LEGO has put out time and time again with the theme (Airjitzu Flyers, Dragon Riders, etc.) have never satisfied that itch of an actually developed and pretty fun game to play with a friend. When I learned what Bricklink was, I ended up starting a collection and playing with my friends who were also Ninjago fans. I think the concept is super fun, and while it could use some development and complexity (not to the extent of say, Magic, but at least a little more thought into a couple things), I love it!

And as I start a quest to create a 100% complete card collection, I figured I'd ask- what are yall's thoughts on the line? Yay? Nay? What would you do different? I'd love to hear!

Edited by novareb
Hit enter key too early whoops

I've watched the Ninjago TV show since it began, waited with baited breath for it to appear in LEGO Universe (R.I.P.), and have a few of the physical sets that I then modified. Ninjago has a special place in my heart, as does Adventurers - Orient Expedition which was my childhood love of the age Ninjago is marketed at now. (7 to 12) I feel a kinship to @novareb in that respect - I fondly remember pouring over official catalogs (R.I.P.) physical magazines (again, R.I.P.) and LEGO .com's sub-site, looking for my favorite theme I couldn't afford.

...anyway, I digress. I never bought the spinners, but I did find them cool. Good luck on your epic quest to card catalog completion!

Edited by Murdoch17

1 minute ago, Murdoch17 said:

I've watched the Ninjago TV show since it began, waited with baited breath for it to appear in LEGO Universe (R.I.P.), and have a few of the physical sets that I then modified. Ninjago has a special place in my heart, as does Adventurers - Orient Expedition which was my childhood love of the age Ninjago is marketed at now. (7 to 12) I feel a kinship to @novareb in that respect - I fondly remember pouring over official catalogs (R.I.P.) physical magazines (again, R.I.P.) and LEGO .com's sub-site, looking for my favorite theme I couldn't afford.

...anyway, I digress. Good luck on your epic quest to card catalog completion!

Yeah, I remember a lot of your old Nexus Force mods! Quite good builds! LEGO Universe is still quite important to me- I ended up finding a promo GameStop poster for LU which I have displayed proudly on my wall in the center of my room at a local comics shop. The LEGO Club magazines and original website and games were so much fun and really scratched that LEGO itch. But on topic...

Other than my blatant nostalgia (as I was absolutely the target market at the time)- I feel it was a great integration of all forms of media. A lot of Big Bang themes nowadays seem to rely a lot on current technology (Nexo Knights and Hidden Side, although Dreamzzz has been different I feel), but I think early Ninjago had a great blend of technology and video usage (the show, and I remember watching a lot of Spinner tutorial videos), and obviously, the physical spinners and cards. It's one of my favorite marketing pushes ever- something which may have influenced me going into graphic design and advertising itself. As much as I enjoy the physical bricks, having something that relates to the theme that isn't just LEGO I feel gave me a deeper connection to the line.