BrickBrain

Using Mindstorms To Power Tram?

Hello, 

I'm new to all this and not very tech minded but have recently bought the Main Street Christmas scene with the trolley bus and some train track.  My son already has Lego Mindstorms. Is there any way of this to power the trolley bus around the track or would I have to  buy the Power Up items?  The guy in the shop said that I could use the Mindstorm parts but I've tried and I can't figure it out.  Like I say, not very tech minded!  Thanks in advance of any info/tips you can give me.

The simple answer is "yes and no". What is the reason for wanting to use Mindstorms? Is it just to use kit you already have and save on the expense of buying Powered Up or are there Mindstorms features you want to use on the tram?

I've explored using Mindstorms EV3 in trains before now to create a semi-autonomous locomotive and to experiment with active tilt, and I have been able to make it work, although with varying degrees of success. However, the big barrier has always been packaging the kit inside the train. Although the current generation of Mindstorms hubs is smaller than the older EV3 brick it's still a significant lump of plastic, and that Winter Village tram is a small model to try and squeeze everything in.

If you want to stay faithful to the LEGO brand, my recommendation would be to use Powered Up with a train motor as the most space-efficient of the official offerings. If you're thinking of using Mindstorms because you want to code some functions, you should know that the Powered Up app allows for coding using a device of your choosing. However, if you're open to using third party alternatives I would recommend you look into Circuit Cubes as their motor and hub offering is likely to be the best fit for a small model like the tram. Have a search online for further information, both here and elsewhere, as I've no doubt that there are plenty of folks who have motorised this model and will have shared their designs and results. YouTube might be a good starting point.

Thanks so much for this Hod Carrier.  My main motivation was to save the expense of buying the Powered Up kit as we already have Mindstorms. Your video's great though. Very inspiring! The kids are going to have a go at making an engine with the Mindstorms stuff and see if they can hook it up to pull the trolley along. Might not work but it will be an interesting project to keep them busy for a bit.  Will definitely have a look online and the Circuit Cubes look interesting. Many thanks for all your help. Hope you have a lovely Christmas. 

12 hours ago, BrickBrain said:

Will definitely have a look online and the Circuit Cubes look interesting.

Circuit cubes are awesome for small Lego trains. I have several of them. Just be sure to get the "Bluetooth" version (the base circuit cubes does not do wireless and the bluetooth version adds smaller motors)

13 hours ago, BrickBrain said:

Thanks so much for this Hod Carrier.  My main motivation was to save the expense of buying the Powered Up kit as we already have Mindstorms. Your video's great though. Very inspiring! The kids are going to have a go at making an engine with the Mindstorms stuff and see if they can hook it up to pull the trolley along. Might not work but it will be an interesting project to keep them busy for a bit.  Will definitely have a look online and the Circuit Cubes look interesting. Many thanks for all your help. Hope you have a lovely Christmas. 

You’re most welcome. Wishing you and yours a great Christmas. I’m sure the Mindstorms project will keep the kids occupied over the holidays. I hope we’ll get a chance to see the fruits of their labours in due course. 

Thanks Zephyr1934, that's really good to know.  They've really enjoyed reading your 'semi autonomous locomotive' Hod Carrier so fingers crossed it will inspire them. Will definitely post whatever they manage to get going!! x

On 12/19/2023 at 11:02 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Circuit cubes are awesome for small Lego trains. I have several of them. Just be sure to get the "Bluetooth" version (the base circuit cubes does not do wireless and the bluetooth version adds smaller motors)

Did you buy a kit or have you found somewhere in the UK to buy the individual components  I've been looking and thought I'd buy them from the Circuit Cubes website but the shipping is nearly as much as the products!  I can only seem to find kits available here but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

Techbrick do sell at least some parts as separate items, although their stock level doesn’t seem great at the moment.

Kits are good value, though. You get a rechargeable Bluetooth hub, two motors and cables, plus all the bits to make a little tracked tank for 35 quid, which isn’t bad. I’d just be inclined to buy more kits for any extra parts.