bingowaldorf

[MOC] Very compact cannons!

In my quest for cannons smaller than the official spring loaded variety, I have come up with two options that I quite like. I have seen some other common cannons that use the 1x3 wing and I think that is an absolutely perfect piece for this job. What I have done differently is using the 1x1 round stud with bar to attach the barrel and bring the sides in closer. This makes the footprint of the gun almost exactly 3x3.

gHIepIM.png

And here is a peek at how the inside goes together.

yTd41WV.png

Another even smaller gun I've been working on. This one uses the candle stick for the barrel for a very small point defense gun, ideal for shallow water merchant vessels. The two halves would go together with a piece of flexible tubing cut down to fit into the clip and then the open hole in the 1x1 round stud (I just don't know how to model that in stud.io). While this canon is very cute I'm still on the fence about trying to build it irl. It seems a bit silly to have a deck gun so small instead of a swivel gun; but I guess whose to say there weren't some captains who made poor decisions!

W4ZmoQo.png

Nice, here's what I have come up with 

Screenshot 2023-08-26 180412

My swivel gun and

Screenshot 2023-09-09 194558

My deck gun is probably an 18-pdr, so not exactly small but, still smaller than the Lego one that maybe you could use for a 36 or 42 pdr gun, anyway, do you have a ship for your guns or a ship in progress?

1 hour ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

My swivel gun and

My deck gun is probably an 18-pdr, so not exactly small but, still smaller than the Lego one that maybe you could use for a 36 or 42 pdr gun, anyway, do you have a ship for your guns or a ship in progress?

Wow that big gun is slick! I really like the fez part at the end.

Lovely designs for cannons! I have been lately looking for more designs of small cannons for upper decks and such. This is one the best designs. :pir-thumb:

On 9/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, Rogue Redcoat said:

My swivel gun and

I really like the look of that swivel gun.