I try to help my children understand that people are not fully bad or fully good, so the idea of theme around good police and bad robbers is a little hard for me, but I have wanted to build a spacecraft for a while. Like the Motorcycle Contest a couple of years ago (!) this one is a little out of my comfort zone, so I thought it would be good to participate. Also, space is a foundational LEGO theme, so I didn't want to miss out. Late winter/early spring is a little intense in the Thirdwigg household, so we'll see what I can complete. It does mean I'm keeping the build small and manual.

I recently got set 40580, so Blacktron I is on my mind (and if I'm being honest, it's been on my mind almost non-stop since 1990), so this would be my design theme. Plus the all black with a little bit of yellow works well with a technic collection. Also, this means I have a transparent windscreen, which in my mind, and a requirement for a LEGO space ship. The Plunder Runner will be a small, fast, craft with a storage compartment for cargo, loot, or space police officers who are not quite above reproach. Call it the space robber side if you like, but I like to think it's not the space police side. 

I built a little draft to get the shape and proportions. Two HOG gears on the top would be for the landing gear and the Pod lift mechanism.

800x600.jpeg

After playing with some of the mechanisms and landing gear placement, the size would need to increase a little. Draft two is not much, but much more black.

800x600.jpeg

It was about this point, I figured out I needed to finalize the Pod size and shape. Studio was the best place to try some ideas. I think these will be final. The trick with Blacktron I is to have less yellow than you want, so we'll see if this is too much later in the build. Cargo Pod is on the left, and Cage Pod is on the right. Both open on the top.

800x600.jpg

Like I said, it's a little busy in Thirdwiggville, so we'll see if this gets done on time....

A little update. I was able to complete draft 2, which has the landing gear working, the rear pod lift working, and a reasonable structure for the wings. The canopy might be a little too small, but I'll keep going and see what I think a little later.

800x600.jpeg

Thanks @HydroWorld Outlook, and I hope I am able to finish in time.

I'm not sure about the propulsion system yet, as it depends on how the pods get placed. I'll get there.

Nope, no other mechanical functions other than the landing gear and the pod lift are planned.

OK, all done. In the theme of Blacktron 1, this fast little ship can carry a light cargo load, and get away from the space police quickly. 

Features:

• Opening Cockpit
  • Working Landing Gear
  • Pod Storage Arms
  • Opening Pods (Cage/Cargo)

52774118943_98d7efa9f9_b.jpg

52773634846_3392e70f8c_b.jpg

52773634841_b1a0876445_b.jpg

52773101317_d0e745d85d_b.jpg

Video is coming shortly....

I'm glad I was able to finish this little project. 

Alright, a short little video has been added. There are two simple functions for this small little craft.

Wasn't really following the contest topics, but I just saw this on RB main page and it caught my eye immediately! Lovely stuff! I have a soft spot for the old Blacktron, still have my Battrax from 1987. I may have to 'borrow' its canopy to build your ship (it's the only trans-yellow I have here)... :pir-grin:

Thanks @astyanax, and I'm glad you like it. Yeah, stuff in trans-yellow is hard to come by. I hope you are able to build this, and let me know how it looks with the Battrax canopy.