firefabric

[MOC] Jeep CJ-7 Renegade

Finished another MOC, the Jeep CJ-7 Renegade. This build is on the smaller side, at least compared to the previous post (Sierra Railway Locomotive), but it was an interesting build nevertheless. Since it was inspired by a scene in Back to the Future, I'm posting this in the Licensed forum as it could theoretically be a "movie car". A well-informed Back to the Future fan can probably tell which scene I'm talking about:

800x400.jpg

It's done in the 8-wide format, however being a smaller car in size, I felt like the chassis should be a bit smaller so I did some experiments to make it 7-wide. I wanted to use the larger and wider front wheel arches to match the real car, but since those are wider than the rear wheel arches (1 stud), I needed to make the chassis 6-wide in the front. I tried a few different ways, but the only thing that really worked was to build the front and and back of the chassis as separate parts and join them with a half-stud offset.

800x500.jpg

Another detail to note is that the front grille and lights attachment is built upside down, mainly due to medium blue parts availability. But as it happens sometimes, I feel like it turned out better having those constraints. Other than that, the structure is fairly normal and built using mainly plates. No large chassis pieces were used, I do try those out at least once in a build, but so far there has always been some limitation or issue and haven't been able to use them. As usual, I also created instructions, if you are interested there's more information about that on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-135181/firefabric/jeep-cj-7/

800x470.jpg

800x500.jpg

800x440.jpg

Thanks!