Sign in to follow this  
acidutzu

Pushing electric train by hand

Hi

On Christmas I received Lego train 60336 and my kid like to play with it moving the locomotive by hand, not using the remote. I search online if this will damage the motor, but I found mixt answers (and for old type of trains), I even ask Lego support but they told only that is more intresting to use the remote (thanks Lego but that was not what I asked).
My feel is that Lego knows most kids will like to push it manualy and that the trains are not only for collectors but I want to know.
If it damage the motor I will buy individual pieces to build a set of wheels to replace it.

Thank you!

Hi

The majority of motors are not designed to allow push operation. Forcing the motor to spin can lead to major damage to not just the motor itself, but also the electronics that it may be connected to. There are a few exceptions, one of which Lego produces in a Duplo train set.

Two options:

1) You can make a dummy bogie and attach it to the locomotive when the kids want to push it around on the floor, then switch the dummy bogie out for the real motor when you want to run the train.

2) If the kids are really young (like 5 and under) I would suggest the Lego Duplo 10874 Steam Train. The motor in this set is designed to be both push around on the floor or to be battery operated. The gearing is set up to give after so much torque and there is over-voltage protection to protect the electronics of the motor.

I had this same problem a while back when my 14 year old nephew outgrew his red Lego Passenger train (set 7938) and gave it to his younger 3 year old brother. The 3 year old pushed the train around on the carpet and ended up breaking the motor. I got the Duplo Steam Train after I saw the motor was designed for this kind of play/abuse. He loves the Duplo train immensely. Hope this helps.

I would go for a dummy indeed. In general, motor drivers have flyback diodes so it should not do harm immediately when manually pushed and the motor work as generator. However the flyback diodes are not meant for continuous operation and the generated current needs to go somewhere.