Sign in to follow this  
Kit Figsto

4432 Secondary Market Prices?

Hi,

A year or so ago, I was downsizing and selling off some older sets on Bricklink.  I was surprised when I looked at listing 4432, the 2012 Garbage Truck, as I was able to get about $30 for my used copy of it (a set that originally cost $20).  For an unlicensed City set without any real unique parts or unusual minifigures, this seemed really odd, since most used City sets I was selling, I was usually either selling for less than I paid, or for some older ones maybe selling for about the original price.  Come to find out, a sealed version of the set is at least $80, sometimes upwards of $100.  

Why is that?  It wasn’t an exclusive and didn’t seem to have a short production run or anything.  While it’s older, there are sets even older than it that are roughly the same size that can be had for cheaper (7991, the 2007 Garbage Truck, which arguably looks better in my opinion, can be had for like $60 brand new), and there are similar vehicles from the same era that are also way cheaper (Dump Truck is about $40 new, Ambulance is about $60 new, Cement Mixer about $60 new, 4x4 Fire Truck is about $40 new, etc).  

It’s also not something like farm, where we almost never get them - it seems like we get some form of a garbage truck every 4-5 years (if I’m not mistaken, there’s one either currently out or recently retired).  That seems even less frequent than something like the Ambulance, and yet this Garbage Truck costs more?

Anyway, I was just curious if there was something I’m missing about this set, or if anyone knows why it in particular costs so much?

Maybe it's got semi-rare parts? Or maybe a really popular MOCcer published instructions using some parts from it, and it skyrocketed because they're getting hard to find loose? (Like the red XPOD dishes because of that famous Akira motorcycle MOC)