51894228798_47c3c06104_b.jpg

Check out the Full Wave of reviews!

Set information

Set Name:  Dorrie’s Beachfront Expansion Set

Set Number: 71399

Number of Pieces: 229

Theme: LEGO Super Mario

Year Release: 01/2022

Prices: £24.99 / $29.99 / 29.99€ (Euro prices may vary)

@Lego US https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/dorrie-s-beachfront-expansion-set-71398

@Brickset https://brickset.com/sets/71398-1/Dorrie-s-Beachfront

Box & Contents

51894794325_babe5850c7_c.jpg

Compared to other themes, the Mario sets definitely have bigger boxes than what you'd expect from the parts count. I also noticed that they stopped printing the number of parts on the box. Coincidence? I'll let you decide :wink: 

51894478099_794c7f37b1_c.jpg

After reviewing quite a number of the sets, however, I can say that to get a photo of every module in a set it does need a pretty good amount of real estate. That could partially explain why the boxes are so wide.

51894140676_47417d65a1_b.jpg
As with the other sets in this theme, the booklet that is included with the set is not instructions but a small catalog for the rest of the current sets. You will need the app to follow instructions, that's how it is meant to be used.  For most sets, however, you can find the PDF instructions over at LEGO Service.

51894140706_88ec2c0af2_b.jpg

The Build

It's a small, simple, cute set. Hopefully nobody is expecting any major revelations on builds here. I really love the dark orange windup key element, first seen way back in 2012 CMF series 6 Clockwork Robot.

Bag 1 - Dorrie

51894478009_505eb36e06_b.jpg

Bag one is lots of blue parts and some really nice ones for MOC builders. We've got quite a few newer curved slopes and some snot bricks, corner tiles and 2x2 wedge plates in white. 

51894794175_e030fd79cf_b.jpg

The creature itself, really the star of this set, is really adorable. It is an interactive item as well and allows your Mario or Luigi to ride around on top and skate along the water levels.

Bag 2 - Sandcastle, Fountain & Huckit Crab

51894228958_f0f4e275c8_b.jpg

Bag two really has the meat of the parts count in it. There are many small parts used for building the two interactive modules - sand castle and water fountain. Additionally there is a green turtle shell :wub: and launcher for it. The lone enemy in this level is the crab who has one semi-posable arm.

51894140546_4fb4dc1749_b.jpg

When all the bag two builds are complete you have four interactive modules for the new level.

Bag 3 - Palm Tree & Big Splash

51894228893_dc0a843f41_b.jpg

Many of the parts in bag three are focused on building the tilted palm tree which is also an interactive module. We've also got another big splash and coral though they are decorative and have no barcodes. 

51894228873_646d60d32a_b.jpg

The grass square seems to be just to make a turning path and doesn't really have much interaction to it and lots of blue connecting plates for this water level!

51894228863_c6a915e61e_b.jpg

The completed set it cute and colorful with lots of interactions I'll go into detail about in the playability section.  

Characters

51894228833_a3eb745690_b.jpg

51894228818_da2576b6ac_b.jpg

51894793995_4677f6d8cf_b.jpg

Play Features

At first glance, a set this small might not seem like it would have a lot of play features. However, the designer of this set really did an amazing job packing them in!

• Mario and Luigi can ride Dorrie which keeps them the risk of drowning on water levels!
  • You might have noticed the bright pink blocks scattered through the build. Those are for a Block-hunting mini-game! Each block has to be discovered and scanned to get the points.
    •  The first block is in the sand castle and Mario needs to destroy it to get to the block.
    • Block two is hiding behind the fountain, just try and stay dry!
    • The final block needs to be knocked down from the wobbly tree like a coconut!
  • In addition to all that, there's the crabby enemy! Knock him down with the green turtle shell and take him out with a pounding.

Conclusion

A nice set packed with play features! There's a lot going on with this small set and it is definitely worth adding to a Mario world.  

Score

Design: 8/10
Quite a few nice mini-builds here and two characters. The character and play feature designs for this set are wonderful and it's definitely worth the build and play time.

Parts: 8/10
There are a number of nice parts here including the Mario-only parts like the prints and turtle shell as well as the dual curve slopes and matching 1x2 curved slopes and water sprays.  

Build: 8/10
While not rocket science, there are some nice details in these mini builds that a person could definitely take to their own MOCs such as the way the tree is designed and tilted as well as the little sandcastle.

Playability: 8/10
I've mentioned it before but it's worth saying again, this set is packed with interactive modules! Lots of playability here for those with any of the starter courses.

Price: 8/10
The price is what we'd expect from a Mario set, around 11 cents per part. A bit on the high side but not overly so.  

Overall: 40/50

Great review, enjoyed reading it! I am planning on getting some of the Super mario sets for my nephew. However, I don't know how to feel about the building instructions on the app, would prefer a classic book. But I love the concept, and the figures were designed well.

5 hours ago, leahdavies12 said:

Great review, enjoyed reading it! I am planning on getting some of the Super mario sets for my nephew. However, I don't know how to feel about the building instructions on the app,

Thank you!  You can download the PDF from the Lego service website "Find Instructions" and print them out at home, but I have not tried that yet so I can't comment on how well they print.