Hi all,

I am glad to share with you my latest Control+ biped Bot 4. This is based on Bot 3 but instead of using the 51515 hub Bot 4 uses 2 technic hubs and 8 motors in total (4L and 4XL motors).

The tilt sequence may look a bit strange but it is mainly due to the weight of the 12AA batteries. Anyway, just in case you want to see the video, you can find it here - 

Bot 4 - A Control+ Mech

Looking forward for your feedback :)

/cheung 8)

Looking good!

It does look like walking could be a bit faster when you tilt both feet at the same time. Now the 'standing on leg' tilts after the 'pushing leg' is finished, and to me it looks like they could be done at the same time. (or at shorter interval)

Hi Jos,

8 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

Looking good!

It does look like walking could be a bit faster when you tilt both feet at the same time. Now the 'standing on leg' tilts after the 'pushing leg' is finished, and to me it looks like they could be done at the same time. (or at shorter interval)

Thanks for your feedback. Initially I tried tilting both feet at the same time but the weight of the bot doesn't really allow it to be tilted as the torso is too heavy (12AA + 6 motors). Perhaps I could also remove the foot tilt of the non standing foot once the bot has been tilted too.

Time to try it out 🙂

13 hours ago, CheungsLegoCreation said:

Looking forward for your feedback

Very nice !! It's amazing this heavy robot is able to balance on one leg, lift the other and move it forward.

The overall walking movement is interesting to watch and quite educational as well.

One question though, if the arms are in some other position, does the centre of gravity fall outside the balancing leg ? Or do you take the arm positions into account in the computation for walking and adjust the tilt accordingly (like a real person would do) ?

In any case, a really cool and interesting creation.

Edited by iLego

22 hours ago, iLego said:

Very nice !! It's amazing this heavy robot is able to balance on one leg, lift the other and move it forward.

The overall walking movement is interesting to watch and quite educational as well.

One question though, if the arms are in some other position, does the centre of gravity fall outside the balancing leg ? Or do you take the arm positions into account in the computation for walking and adjust the tilt accordingly (like a real person would do) ?

In any case, a really cool and interesting creation.

Thanks. Strange enough the torso-arm distance doesn't seem to make any difference because the bot is centre heavy (torso is 2XL motors + 2 hubs with 12AAs). I think the tilt would work better if the linear actuators on the foot are placed near the outer edge of the feet. With the heavy body the stride length has to be reduced to 5 units instead of 7 units my earlier version could do (as the gears connecting to the XL motors starts to slip due to the weight - that is, it could lift the body using a single motor).