Sign in to follow this  
flyer

Need help with corrupted file

Hi

I'm desperately seeking for some help to recover (even if partially) a lxf file I was working on.

I'm not sure what happened. Last Saturday I was working on it for a couple hours, doing regular saves (on the same file... yeah I know, that's silly) and after the last save and closing LDD, I just got a BSOD "memory management issue". Have no idea what was it...

Thing is, after restarting and trying to open the lxf again, got an "parsing error message, unable to open it"... how frustrating...

Did a copy of it, and tried changing its extension to ".zip" and recover the zip. No avail...

I haven't done anything else to the original file, just to avoid doing any further damage to it, hoping it could be recovered...

Please, can someone help me out? The file is on a bricksafe page "my_castle"

flyer's Pages - Bricksafe

Cheers

10 hours ago, JopieK said:

I think it will be very unlikely that you can recover it. You could try to use WinRar (I don't have Windows at the moment so couldn't try): https://www.minitool.com/news/repair-corrupted-rar-zip-files.html

Hi Jopiek

I tried that. No avail. Steps I took:

1-get another copy of original (just in case);

2-renamed it from ".lxf" to ".rar"

3-opened winrar

4-followed the steps on the link

The result was as follows. I'm attaching a printscreen.

I was hoping some expert on hex editing could help me out? My knowledge on this is restricted to getting an hex editor and opening the file with it. I don't know what to do next (supposing anything can be done)..

printscreen.png

Edited by flyer

The problem with it is that it seems to be a binary file. I think it is damaged too much :s

22 hours ago, JopieK said:

The problem with it is that it seems to be a binary file. I think it is damaged too much :s

Hi.

Does that mean it can't be recover in any way? :(

Binary means that is virtually impossible to see what information is in it for humans (as it is a great format for computers but not readable for normal humans even those that are familiair with it. It might be that the file is divided into sections e.g.). Maybe some LDraw guru's know more about it.