Sign in to follow this  
Thyraz

Powered Up: Lego Technic "Tacho" motors still not fully compatible with Boot Hub?

In a lot old threads I've seen comments, that the L and XL motors would not be fully compatible with the Boost Hub in the Powered App.
But that this might change with future updates.

Can anyone tell me if they don't work at all or what the problems are?
Or if it's maybe already fixed with the current app version?

Currently I only have a Boost Hub and would like to get an additional motor with more power and the possibility for absolute positioning (servo/tacho mode).
But I'm not sure if I would have to buy a new hub as well to use it...

Thank you for any hints,
Tobias

Ok, since the video is quite recent, this probably means that the Boost Hub can still only control the Train, Weedo 2.0 and Boost (medium) motors.

For all other Powered UP motors it needs the City Hub or the Control+ (= Technic) Hub.

Too bad, since it looks like it has been quite some time like that now.
So, most likely there's not much hope...
Does anyone know the reason? Is there a hardware incompatibility?

Here are my guesses (but they're just guesses!):

if it's not wanted:
maybe it's an error in the firmware but they are waiting for something for the updates. The updates should be rolled out for all apps at the same time that use the hub, so it's quite a bit of work for boost (it's the PUP app, the boost app and the star wars boost app). Maybe a major update for something has to be finished before the new app version can be rolled out so the other apps have to wait.

if it's wanted:
there might be a problem with the maximum current the AAA batteries can/should deliver. The move hub has 2 motors more than the city hub.

In this video the technic and spike prime motors are used on the move hub. 

So what exactly is "not working" at the moment?
Can't they be used in the app, just with the remote? Or can't the servo/tacho feature not be used, but simple speed control is possible?

Edited by Thyraz

Interesting.

@Tcm0 can you maybe check that again? :) And strange that the technic hub seems to be the only one that cannot be controlled directly with the remote control - eventhough the boost hub has 4 ports, too. 

Oh, I just realized that Tcm0 is the short version of technicmaster0. :)

I watched a lot of your videos as starting point for Powered UP.
Thanks a lot for all these videos.

And yes, would be awesome if you can test if the technic motors are working for you too at the move hub (but maybe only with the remote).

Works with remote but doesn't work with PUP App (I tested XL, large angular in blue and medium angular in blue).

I'm glad that you liked the videos and that they helped. That's what I make them for :)

Wow, thanks.

So this is an artificial limitation on the software side.
Maybe it's really a problem if you would set the 2 internal motors and two L-Motors to 100% with a lot friction.
If the voltage gets too low, the hub might crash and restart.

Would be interesting if this limitation also exists for other software solutions like node-poweredup or pybricks.
I guess most likely not. Cause if it would be something in the firmware of the hub, the remote would also not be allowed to control it.

It's more likely to be a limitation inside the Powered Up app...

Edited by Thyraz