Sign in to follow this  
Celloguy

Classic Space Alternate Build Challenge!

Classic Space Alternate Build Challenge

I should have posted this here weeks ago, but better late than never, so here is a weekend challenge for you! I wanted to run a fun little challenge to help get us through these lockdown months, and create some old school Lego Space builds.

So... I built an old school classic space model, disassembled it, and laid out the 220 parts (plus three minifigures). Your challenge is to use these parts to build something else, in the classic alternative box model style of old. Build anything you like, and you can enter as many times as you like. I tried to choose parts that were common enough in the original colours that they would already be in most space builders' collections, but that also had lots of alternate colour options available. I want to prevent people from having to make new Bricklink orders if they can avoid it! So if you like, collect the parts together in Blacktron I, Space Police I, Futuron, M:tron, or one of the other Classic Space liveries, or any other colour scheme you care to invent. Digital entries are allowed (but if you have the bricks do it in real!). Remember, no need to use every part, so if you don't have a part, just don't use it!

If you photograph your creation for me on a black or tan background I'll try to photoshop any results together, to make a massive mockup rear box view, and I will reveal my original model at the same time. Usually, the rear box models were posed in a fun way, so extra points for that. I'll be doing some alternate builds too.

Deadline is 10th January. Please post a link to your build under my flickr thread, here, or on instagram with the hashtag #SpaceABC so I can find it, or message it to me directly. Feel free to spread the word to anyone who might like to participate.

Have fun! #SpaceABC

Two days to acquire ancient parts and build something? Good luck with that.

I think this is a good idea, but we need more time, and if we're doing alt builds, it should be from a recent set. The recent Creator Cyber Drone set, for example, has a minifig with a classic space logo and a Spyrius-inspired robot face. It might be a good candidate, although the color scheme is different.

16 hours ago, danth said:

Two days to acquire ancient parts and build something? Good luck with that.

I think this is a good idea, but we need more time, and if we're doing alt builds, it should be from a recent set. The recent Creator Cyber Drone set, for example, has a minifig with a classic space logo and a Spyrius-inspired robot face. It might be a good candidate, although the color scheme is different.

Haha! No problem at all if you don't want to enter, and I realise it's very last minute! As I say in the post, just collect the parts that you do have in your collection already, without bricklinking. The people who are likely to be interested will probably have many period appropriate pieces already, and a huge number are just normal plates and slopes. :)