macaron35

AT-AT 75288 leg mod for more stability

Hi everyone,

following our recent discussion on the general topic, i finally received the pieces to mod my AT-AT 75288.

I found out that the rotating parts at the hips and knees (Lego only put 1 set flex joints instead of 2 on the AT-ST and AT-DP), so it was easier for them to turn on this set. As a result, by itself, the AT-AT started sliding down depending on how it put the legs. I was really afraid it would crash down if i didn't put its legs straight and even tho, it didn't feel very stable. Owners of previous sets didn't encounter this issue because Lego change the orientation of the flex joint attached to the body...

Someone found out that Lego changed one of the part between older sets and this one

41e9c2ff94e8de28e443d32a1cbae9e2dc3948e4

397e3190386d65ae58fb298c8300f125c0e4c3dc

There is a theory about the decrease of clutch power with the new part. I can only confirm through my touch and feel that older parts were stronger than the new ones.

So I doubled the number of flex joints for each leg and removed some original pieces to insert the modded legs so that the hips do not look larger. I also added bigger inverted radars so that the top of the legs look stronger/bigger than the bottom under the knees (Lego originally put the same size of inverted radars).

To be done later... reinforcing the inside of the thighs so that the AT-AT stops having skinny legs ;)

thanks again for your responses and advices in the general topics which helped me a lot modding this AT-AT. It is much stronger now

3GBP2V.jpg

3GBskP.jpg

3GBLp1.jpg

3GBZTF.jpg

original parts removed:

3GBthg.jpg

Edited by macaron35

Interesting intel about the clutch power.  Just picked up this set, curious to compare the clutch power with the older ones.

With regard to your mods, do you have any other head-on angle photos?  Seems like the hip joints protrude out way too far.  I always regarded the spindly legs as a signature attribute of the AT-AT, where the body is wider than the 'hip' width.  Seems like using older click hinges might be a better option to me...*shrug*

Edited by lowlead

Hi,

Not at home for a few days, so I cannot make new pics, but it doesn't add up more space at this location, or at least it doesn't compromise the design in my humble opinion but i'll leave it to you to determine if you should go this way or not.

My priority was to secure the walker and prevent it from falling off so i modded all the legs and didn't simply try to replace new click hinges by the older ones.

I actually don't know if replacing them would be enough because we discussed about this with 75054 AT-AT owners and on this previous set, the hinges were placed vertically and aligned with the legs, while on the 75288, they are already folded at 90°, which already reduces their strength compared to if they were placed flat at 180° on the 75054.

Anyway, could you give it a try and let me know if replacing hinges would be enough ? If so, this means that the mod is not necessary and I would revert back to the original set design when I have time.

So far, my walker fell off in any position except when the legs were totally straight so i did what i could as quickly as possible to prevent it.

5 hours ago, macaron35 said:

...Anyway, could you give it a try and let me know if replacing hinges would be enough ? If so, this means that the mod is not necessary and I would revert back to the original set design when I have time.

So far, my walker fell off in any position except when the legs were totally straight so i did what i could as quickly as possible to prevent it.

^^That's not good at all! 

And yes, absolutely, cuz now I'm very curious about this issue.  If LEGO can't even keep a System scale walker upright, forget about a UCS version forever!

I'm fortunate to have spare click hinges from several 4483 sets that have been parted out.  They're the last of the 'old grey' and they're pretty tough! :laugh:  Not sure when I'll get around to building the new AT-AT, but either way I'll check back in.  More to follow...

i still don't understand why there is only 1 pair of click hinges at these locations on the AT-AT while the AT-DP and AT-ST got 2

Just built the AT-AT.  The legs definitely migrate outward a bit when they're positioned in a walking pose, but the click hinges never buckled.  I observed this on a clean, smooth countertop (slippery).  When placed on any other surface with slightly more friction - even a blank piece of paper - the slippage was nonexistent.

So yes, the click hinges would most likely buckle under more weight if the legs are configured any other way than straight.  For all we know, LEGO designers had this exact same discussion and deemed the weaker clutch of the hinges still adequate to support the model.  Thankfully it's not as bad as I feared but if I were to display this in a walking pose, I'd keep it resting on a more grippy surface for sure.

$ .02 :sweet: 

thanks for your feedback.

As there is a tolerance for manufacturing those click hinges, the situation might happen for some people, be discreet for others or not happen at all.

I have tried to replace my click hinges yesterday by older ones, but as it is impossible for me to measure the clutch power, I cannot rely on my touch and feel. And I definitely don't want to walk into the room one day and see my AT-AT on the ground or at least down on the shelf, so I will be keeping my mod. 

Anyway, try to put your AT-AT in other walking positions and leave it that way for a while to see if it moves.

Hey Macaron35- fantastic writeup/mod. 

A couple questions, as I was in the same boat as you (and moreso now that I've modified mine to be larger)- and resorted to a similar modification of the hips (I made small struts for the knees) with another hinge piece. Even out of the box the AT-AT would never stay in any position except straight up/straight legs. I have solid legs and hips.... 

However- I am having issues with a solid attachment between hip and body, would you please provide a couple more pictures and/or discussion of the attachment? I'm utilizing 4 attachment points per hip (3 blue pins plus long brown from the set, layered within the 2 hinge and filler piece section) but there is zero confidence in their stability/integrity. 

Thanks!!

Hi

I'm not at home so I cannot make new pics right now, but based on the first picture I posted, each leg is attached to the body with 2 x Technic, Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise (6558). You may remove the technic parts in light bluish grey as posted in last picture to get the legs closer to the body.

Normally it should be strong and stable.

I wish I had reinforced more the connection points between them, more than 2 points but there is no hole left to add an additional technic pin.

Since I am just a newbie, I am hoping that someone more expert than me would find a better solution

Edited by macaron35

hi, can you make a foto of the pieces you used that are not part of the set so i now wich ones to order.

I am moving in September so i packed all my lego, i won't be able to take pics for now

You may buy these parts 

Technic, Axle 2 with Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise ( i put blue but you can order the color you prefer) (4 for each leg)

- Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise, Staggered, with or without Center Slots (2-3 for each leg)

Dark Bluish Gray Technic Rotation Joint Disk with Pin Hole and 3L Liftarm Thick (2 for each leg)

- Light Bluish Gray Technic Rotation Joint Disk with Pin and 3L Liftarm Thick (same)

Hello there, I see on this post over the year. Because we bought this AT-AT as gift to my son. He is so sad that his AT-AT still fall down, you know, he is 8 years old now. We have it for 1 year and now i order same bricks from this post, some good and maybe some wrong. But I am not able to buitl it like on your photos. Please, please can you help me? with more picture step by step and the numbers of all bricks? I am so sad from it an my son too :( thak you for some help. 

Tereza

Edited by Tereza

On 7/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, macaron35 said:

I am moving in September so i packed all my lego, i won't be able to take pics for now

You may buy these parts 

Technic, Axle 2 with Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise ( i put blue but you can order the color you prefer) (4 for each leg)

- Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise, Staggered, with or without Center Slots (2-3 for each leg)

Dark Bluish Gray Technic Rotation Joint Disk with Pin Hole and 3L Liftarm Thick (2 for each leg)

- Light Bluish Gray Technic Rotation Joint Disk with Pin and 3L Liftarm Thick (same)

Hello, please, help :-) see my post below. thank you soooooooooooo much