Sign in to follow this  
greg3

The Broom Game of Swivenhodge [MOC]

From the book "Quidditch Through the Ages" (Chapter 2 - Ancient Broom Games)

"Swivenhodge is played with an inflated pig's bladder, with players sitting backwards on brooms and using the brush end to knock the bladder back and forth across a hedge. A point is awarded every time an opponent misses and the first to 50 points wins. The game originated in Herefordshire and, while never achieving widespread popularity, is still played in England."

Reading this gave me an idea of how to use my official Quidditch set (I didn't want to buy another set to make a full Quidditch scene... nor would i have the room!). I imagined that a group of students have formed a Swivenhodge club at Hogwarts and have created a court for practise and matches (after a few "incidents", using ordinary hedges out in the countryside has been banned for drawing unwanted muggle attention!) Here we see a couple of players testing each other's skills - overseen by Madame Hooch (who thinks the game may help with training the Quidditch teams!)

50383500666_b586b510e7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The "hedge" is constructed using wooden posts filled in with vegetation

50385014663_f25db49516_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

50383677962_3a72a48988_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I'm planning to enlarge the court to cover 2 full baseplates so there will be plenty space for spectators (if the game ever finally increases in popularity - I'll get round to adding a crowd!)

50383500671_94e2c22f4d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

This was a fun little build and I think it's a good way to use the Quidditch set - I might look at recreating some other "broom games"!

Edited by greg3