CRookie28

Fine stepped truck bonnets - how do you build?

Hi there, I'm looking to understand how people build fine graduated bonnets on trucks, seemingly at half a brick/unit difference to seemingly even finer, as the bonnet increases in size from front to windscreen.

Has anyone experience of this or know how it is done? 

I can imagine it can be achieved using a modified 1 x 2 plate with a stud at half way along and then building on top of that but wondering how others have achieved this effect.

A good example is this one,

https://thelegocarblog.com/tag/kenworth/#jp-carousel-22818

Edited by CRookie28

Some digging on Flickr got me to the builder's original (and more high-res) photos. You can tell from this picture that the sides of the bonnet are constructed using jumper plates to achieve the half-stud offset, just like you suspected:

Kenworth T600

It looks to me like the more gradual slope on the top of the bonnet is a single plate offset, which is slightly smaller than the half stud (1 plate vs 1.25 plates). Part of the effect comes from teh fact this model is perhaps deceptively huge, and the folks over in the Scale Modeling forum might be able to help you more. You can get smaller offsets than a plate or half a stud using all kinds of tricks. The following is a classic built with headlight bricks, but there are lots of options now we have a large ecosystem of bracket pieces:

Half plate chicanery