Sign in to follow this  
2GodBDGlory

2GodBDGlory's old MOCs

On 12/10/2020 at 3:54 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Quest Kodiak

This model is my first attempt at building a Technic aircraft, and attempts to expand the functionality of Technic plane models.

101_0735.JPG

its a shame this didn't get its own thread as it looks very interesting. You couldn't have moved the tail moving L motor to be hidden inside the tower at the time? I also liked how you got pitch control on propellers as well! nice work.

Also I think the controller should have got its own thread :laugh:

Full RC mod 42043 Mercedes-Benz Arocs

This was a bit of a casual project for me. I was rebuilding my first Technic set, the 42043 Arocs, for fun, and decided first to do the cab black, and then to do a fairly extensive RC mod.

About this creation

Aesthetics:
I changed little but the color of the cab and arm. It looks fine this way, I think

101_1005.JPG

Mods: I motorized every function of the original set that used the gearbox, as well as drive and steering (Not only was there not really any space to motorize the pneumatic switches, but there were also not enough IR channels). I removed the gearbox and used its space for an M-motor for the outriggers, an L-motor for the crane rotation, and an M-motor for the compressor. The original L=motor was hooked up to the bed tipping. I replaced the I6 engine with another L-motor to allow it to drive, and put another L-motor where the original battery was, for steering. I stuffed a rechargeable battery under the seats in the cab, and put three IR receivers where the original battery was (over the steering L). It worked quite well, and was fun to play with. The only issue was that the many wires behind the cab made it hard to tilt the cab, an action that was necessary to turn the battery on and off.

Overall, this was an easy, fun little mod to make.
You can see my YouTube video at:

IMAGES AT: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/rc-arocs

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Wagon

This is my first real model with my new quasi-hobby RC components I bought. These components are supposedly good for 50 km/hr in the original truck, so I hoped for good performance.

About this creation

101_1037.JPG

101_1037.JPG

Aesthetics:
They are pretty crude, but maybe recognizable. It is an ol' black wagon, with a bumper sticker where the hooligan driver can tally the tires he has scorched (ten, so far). (I won't even go into the three or four meanings that the license plate was supposed to imply)

Chassis Development:
Nil. Thus, it was master of all maneuvers (shenanigans) involving loss of traction, but could never get close to its top speed without degenerating into glorious donuts. In fact, it was challenging to coax it to any speed without degenerating into said glorious donuts. In order to try to curtail these tendencies, I put a couple of weighted bricks in the front, but to little to no avail.

Drive:
The drive was simple, with my fancy new motor driving the rear wheels with a 12:28 ratio using a new 28T gear. It had lots of torque, and could have had a lot of speed if it had had any handling whatsoever.

Steering:
The Third-party servo (surprisingly large) sat behind the rear wheels and steered the fronts. It was proportional, and not really a bad system, so I can't blame it on the model's complete lack of handling. I will blame that on its not-too-sticky tires, low weight, and high power (perhaps the highest power-to-weight ratio of any Technic-bodied RC ever).

Overall, the model was fun. I didn't have to put in too much effort, and I had fun. Still, though, the motors are worthy of a more refined model. If you like the idea of cheap power for your Lego models (The whole setup cost me about $60 CAD, less than even a single Lego RC Buggy Motor), you can ask me where to buy it in the comments.
You can see my video at:

IMAGES AT: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-wagon

Technic/RC Dodge Challenger

This was my follow-up attempt to my Chevelle SS, with an aim to increased refinement.

About this creation

Aesthetics:
I think it looked all right. It was a black box, mostly, but it looked properly aggressive.

Drive:
It had RWD using my quasi-hobby RC motor, at a 1:3 reduction, with an old style differential.

Steering: It had a typical RC steering setup (at least, with a non-Lego Servo).

Suspension:
There was simple front suspension (I suppose it would be called a sliding-pillar design). I had originally built it with trailing-arm rear suspension, but I deleted it after I feared that it was accelerating wear on a drive axle.

Overall, it looked fine and was fun, but it seems that a transverse mounting of this motor increased part wear greatly, so I didn't get to have much fun with it. Also, it was little more refined than my Chevelle, despite its greater size and grippier tires.
It appears that I forgot to take video of this model.

16 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

its a shame this didn't get its own thread as it looks very interesting. You couldn't have moved the tail moving L motor to be hidden inside the tower at the time? I also liked how you got pitch control on propellers as well! nice work.

Also I think the controller should have got its own thread :laugh:

I could likely do a full presentation of it at some point, if there is interest. I have some other stuff to post that might get priority, though.

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Troop Carrier

I did it. Again. They said it couldn't be done. I said, "There's no reason a man can't build himself five distinct Toyota Land Cruisers." So I did.

101_1124.JPG

This model distinguishes itself from my other Land Cruisers by being a first-gen Land Cruiser 70, and by being the long-wheelbase 2-door Troop Carrier model (Not that this is actually a military model). It was also a test model for my 2-speed automatic gearbox seen elsewhere.
Aesthetics:
I think it looked quite good. It had nice integration of the front fenders, and then a full slew of off-road/overland equipment, such as a front bar, a roof rack with ladder and stuff on top, two spare tires, and the somewhat less essential bumper stickers. There are also LED headlights and taillights.

Interior:
The interior was simple but complete. It is RHD, because that is sort of cool, and has an opening glove box. There are two front seats, and then eight more seats in the rear, divided into four benches oriented sideways along the walls. These rear seats can fold up against the walls to maximize storage space.

Opening stuff:
The hood opens and has a stalk, and the front doors open and have crude locks. The rear barn doors open and have a more sophisticated lock.

Drive:
Here is the basic way to put it. There are two XL motors that drive either the rear wheels or all four, depending on other things I will get to later. There is also a gearbox that I will get to later, and a micro I6 piston engine that I will not get to later.

Steering: The front wheels are steered by an L-motor in the chassis, through some universal joints and CV joints, to a small linear actuator that does the real steering. It had some slack, but let me keep the axles fairly small, a major goal for this model.

Transfer case:
An M-motor shifted a heavy-duty sliding gear transfer case using a small linear actuator, to activate rear-wheel drive high range, four-wheel drive high range, and four-wheel drive low range.

Locking differentials:
As I said before, keeping the axles small, like the axles on real 4x4s, was a goal for this model. As such, I didn't want to put my differential locks in the axles, so I put them in the chassis, connected them to the axles using universal joints, and got them to the wheels using bevel gears. The inboard placement made locking them easy, which was done using another M-motor.

Winch:
The winch was powered by an L-motor through a worm gear.

Suspension:
There was coil-spring suspension for the front live axle (realistic, since this is a post-'97 Land Cruiser), and a "leaf spring" rear suspension. The front suspension's travel was not what it could have been, but the rear's was satisfactory.

Gearbox:
This model used my new 2-speed automatic gearbox. In order to increase friction, and hence decrease its propensity to shift into first, I used two gearboxes in parallel. It proved to be durable, but it wore down the tires being used for friction, and rarely was willing to shift up to second. It is a nice gearbox, but would probably be more at home in a lighter, more efficient vehicle.

Overall, this was a model that was nicely refined and functional. I am pleased with it.

You can watch my YouTube video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5SQ2gLv-U

IMAGES AT: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/toyota-land-cruiser-70-troop-carrier

1970 Dodge Charger R/T

This is an interesting model. It attempted to combine good looks from a System body with the overkill power of my quasi-hobby RC setup.

101_1303.JPG

About this creation

Aesthetics:
I am very pleased with how the model works. This is my first Technic/System model in years, but I think it turned out well. I was aided by the parts from the Speed Champions set of this car.

Steering:
Steering was a simple setup using my RC servo.

Drive:
There was RWD with the hobby motor at a 12:28 ratio with a differential.

The model was powerful (its high weight didn't seem to hurt it much), but very hard to control, and giving it full throttle for much time at all would twist a 5L axle into oblivion. Still, though, I am satisfied with its appearance and performance.
You can see my YouTube video at:
https://youtu.be/qh7dD7yhKkE

IMAGES AT: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/1970-dodge-charger-rt

And with that, I wrap up posting my old MOCs. I have some other old stuff that hasn't been posted anywhere yet, which I will probably post in individual threads, and I may also give a few of the better MOCs on this page their own thread.

About this creation