Hinckley

FABUpunk! Mafia II–Day Four, The Name of the Game

WHATEVER WHATEVER WHATEVER

CORRINA HAS A NICE NEW CAPE, ONLY GOOD THING TO HAPPEN

9 hours ago, Parvani Poodle said:

One thing to keep in mind, Scum has an extra unknown role last night. Have we got any evidence of unexplained actions?

I HAD FORGOTTEN about that. Maybe it wasn't so close to the forefront of my mind as it was to yours. Any ideas on what the unknown role might have been?

My money would be on some kind of manipulative role or a strongarm maybe. I think anything life and death would have been OP, especially in view of today's catastrophe.

9 hours ago, Parvani Poodle said:

So one of the deaths last night was from the bomb Scum have planted the night before. Got it. So Gilford couldn't have been the Scum killer/anawchitz on night 2.

YOU'RE BASING that on Gilford's claim that he was blocked by the scum on night 2? A completely unverified claim.

8 hours ago, Parvani Poodle said:

There have been three deaths last night, and I'm thinking of ways they could add up.

1) scum kill

2) bomb from night 2 that wasn't defused

3) pumpkin shooting lasers out of his ass

4) vengeful if there was one or more among last night's victims

5) unaccounted-for action?

We know Franczeska was lynched. What about the others?

I DON'T THINK it's hard to work out that one was the Flying Pumpkin (Corrina killing Hyacinth), one was the bomb from night two and one was last night's scum kill. Seems like you'd like to throw around a bit of confusion here.

7 hours ago, Parvani Poodle said:

Ok thanks. I was going by the "rulebook" definition of Vengeful which involved killing a player.

I THINK A lot of people were. I certainly was until I received my role PM.

5 hours ago, Parvani Poodle said:

I think you're correct, but unless Gilford lied about it, he was blocked on night 2. He couldn't have been going about planting a bomb in Bartosz's pail. Of course as far as I know he was also targeted by Scum on night 1.

INTERESTING THAT, having wondered about the many and various ways we could have had three deaths last night, you jump straight into thinking that Bartosz was the bomb target on night two.

Thinking about it, it's reasonable that Rutherford might be killed after essentially being confirmed town yesterday, but he could just have easily been targeted by the scum on night two. Either way, it's a surprising assumtion and quite a jump in thinking, unless you already know exactly who the bomb target on night two was. You also seem mighty keen here to keep Gilford painted as an innocent victim of the scum, having survived an attempt on his life thanks to your brave intervention, and having been reportedly blocked by the evil scum on night two. 

8 hours ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

Okay, so Hyacinth and Francessca were both on the verge of being lynched yesterday and both had the chance to make a final kind of plea if you will (and both did). Francessa didn't really do much too defend herself and piled on the Hippo bandwagon. Whilst Hippo made what felt like (to me) a genuine townie post. It just didn't feel like it was coming from a scum perspective. So it changed my perspective in her and I changed my vote to Francessca. (Which we can see was now wrong). 

Like Corinna, I didn't have much useful information to work with since you sort of have to predict who the scum will target. I assumed that when the Bomb exploded it would kill anyone who targeted that player so my logic was that the scum would ideally target someone who was likely to be targeted by lots of people. So I went for Hycainth since I felt it was likely she would be targeted. 

YOU HAVE EXPLAINED why you changed your vote, but that wasn't what was asked of you.  

You thought the scum would target Hyacinth because you thought all the town would target Hyacinth and the scum would want to kill all of those townies, and this thought was as a result of you having a last moment epiphany yesterday to realise you didn't think Hyacinth was scum and was actually town to enable her to logiacally be a scum target in the first place. And you ignored the closest we had to confirmed town with Rutherford, who was presumably (certainly in Parvani's mind) left to die last night?

3 hours ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

So, if I understand it correeeeeeectly, you and Benicia didn't specify a target, but would get to choose someone if you died? If Benicia is right about Rutherford also having a vengeful aaaaaaaaction, that would leave vengeful watcher for him. Let's hope we hear something useful from thaaaaaaat soon.

YES, THAT WAS HOW IT worked, but why do you assume Rutherford was a watcher when there's a vengeful vote thief on the list too?

3 hours ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

Do you knoooooow she targeted Holbrook or are you gathering this from Emeric's behoooooolder result?

I'M NOTING the actions as reported, and pulling at the loose threads afterwards. He could have been doing something else, but really so could almost anyone. 

11 hours ago, Benicia Bear said:

1. Bomb-proof Bomb Defuser * - Marlowe defused Hyacinth
  2. Watcher - Holbrook watched Emeric, saw Gilford targeting Emeric
  3. Tracker - Hyacinth tracked Holbrook who was targeting Emeric
  4. Investigator - Gilford investigated Emeric: "Not Scum"
  5. Beholder - Emeric saw through Hyacinth's eyes and thus tracked Holbrook targeting Emeric
  6. Prince - Parvani
  7. Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of Its Her Ass - Corrina killed Hyacinth
  8. Vengeful Investigator - Shainen 
  9. Vengeful Watcher - 
  10. Vengeful Tracker - Benicia 
  11. Restless Spirit - Leatrix
  12. Vote Thief - 
  13. Vengeful Vote Thief - 
  14. Baby Dragon Lullaby - Franczeska, lynched before used
  15. Baby Dragon Slumber Party - Bartosz invited Corrina

So there are three roles unaccounted for and one player (Rutherford) unaccounted for. We didn't see a vote thief yesterday (I don't think?) so that leaves Vengeful Watcher and Vengeful Vote Thief, which fits with what he told me last night. The mess surrounding the Watcher/Tracker/Investiagor/Beholder also fits with what Rutherford said last night, but that's not the same as being verified. :sceptic:  

On 8/14/2020 at 3:13 AM, Leatrix Lamb said:

Franczeska Fox:

*hic* I was a rolewatcher, so I decides to watch Mobley anddd see what *hic* appens, he was targeted by a compulsive vig, so sooommeeeone got reccklesss *hic* last night. Presumabbbly the *hic* loss of our loyal croc was the scuummm facction kill *hic*

I assume you targeted Mobley for the same reason I did?

Emeric Elephant:

I was the Voyeur and also received the unsuccessful result with targeting Mobley.

Why Mobley? Again, I assume you had the same reasons I had.

Bixby Bunny:

Looks like Caladon probably had the rolestopper. It's not obvious who he would have used it on. We had a bunch of unsuccessful people, but all would be explained by the scum turning off investigative roles. So probably Caladon targeted one of them and his role was useless. His action would have gone thru before he was killed, correct? 

Rolestopper stops any roles performed on the target. It's not a roleblocker.

So this is from day two and at the time I read it as a soft defense of Fox and Elephant which made me think they could be Lamb's scum buddys. We now know Fox is town, and I know Elephant isn't scum (unless I was manipulated or something). Also the bit on the bottom was worth noting while I was at it I thought. Just a observation from the past I wanted to share now knowing the Fox and Elephant aren't scum.

5 hours ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

So, if I understand it correeeeeeectly, you and Benicia didn't specify a target, but would get to choose someone if you died? 

Correct.

5 hours ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

If Benicia is right about Rutherford also having a vengeful aaaaaaaaction, that would leave vengeful watcher for him. Let's hope we hear something useful from thaaaaaaat soon.

19 minutes ago, Benicia Bear said:

YES, THAT WAS HOW IT worked, but why do you assume Rutherford was a watcher when there's a vengeful vote thief on the list too?

[snip]

So there are three roles unaccounted for and one player (Rutherford) unaccounted for. We didn't see a vote thief yesterday (I don't think?) so that leaves Vengeful Watcher and Vengeful Vote Thief, which fits with what he told me last night. The mess surrounding the Watcher/Tracker/Investiagor/Beholder also fits with what Rutherford said last night, but that's not the same as being verified. :sceptic:  

I must admit that my mind also immediately went to vengeful watcher, which I think makes sense if the trickster also gave out vengeful investigator and vengeful tracker.

On that, we have an accounted for block.  Would that explain why we have not heard about the outcome of Rutherford's vengeful?  Would a block work on a vengeful?  Do we know who else Rutherford might have talked to about being vengeful?

On the thief, I don't think we would have seen evidence of it yesterday, as the the target would have been chosen overnight, and their vote then stolen today (Day 4).  

17 minutes ago, Benicia Bear said:

My money would be on some kind of manipulative role or a strongarm maybe. I think anything life and death would have been OP, especially in view of today's catastrophe.

YOU'RE BASING that on Gilford's claim that he was blocked by the scum on night 2? A completely unverified claim.

Considering the amount of investigative actions at plaaaaay last night, a manipulative role would make sense. Now that you mention the claimed block on Gilford, we also haven't heard aaaaaaanyone report they were blocked last niiiiiiight.

17 minutes ago, Benicia Bear said:

I caaaaame to that conclusion because we haven't seen votes disappear yesterdaaaaaay, so I ruled out both vote thief roles.

1 minute ago, Shainen Sheepdog said:

On the thief, I don't think we would have seen evidence of it yesterday, as the the target would have been chosen overnight, and their vote then stolen today (Day 4).  

I just reeeaaaaaad that in the Big Book of the Forrest God. So, my conclusion that Rutherford must have beeeeeeeeen the vengeful watcher may indeed have been preeeeeeemature. We haven't gotten a watcher's reeeeeeeesult from the "twilight business" that the Forrest God had to take care of, which could mean Rutherford has stooooooolen someone's vote for todaaaaaaaaaay.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:44 PM, Bixby Bunny said:

Bad morning, y'all. I was successful in protecting Benicia. Doesn't look like it mattered since we got 2 others dead... but I chose her since she seemed to be legitimately helpful yesterday. I didn't have a ton of time to spend on day 1, but her posts gave me a bit of a town vibe, and my role was compulsive, so I used it on her. 

Hmm. This does feel like she's tryna rub it in. Not smart if the Bear is her scum mate IMO. 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, Marlowe Monkey said:

So Emeric votes first. He votes for Bixby as a poke vote as Bixby hadn’t said anything at that point. I don’t think Emeric was aware of the certificate issue at the time of voting.

Leatrix then votes for Hippo for more a less the sam reasons as me. I don’t consider it as bandwagon-y as The fox since Leatrix has contributed more to the discussion.

Soft defense of Lamb. 

Notice the bit about Emeric?

On 8/14/2020 at 7:34 AM, Marlowe Monkey said:

Bixby then votes for Mobley. This is also feels like a bandwagon-y vote. Bixby hasn’t said anything so far and it feels as though he’s just jumped on the first bandwagon he saw.

Emetic unvotes  Bixby and then votes for Mobely. This feels very off. Again like he’s jumped on to the first bandwagon he saw. 

Out of all of yesterday’s votes the ones that strike me the most are Emeric, Bixby, Gifford and Franceszca.

Calls Bixby's vote bandwagony. WIFOM?

Monkey now criticizes Elephant for leaving Bixby for Mouse. As if he knows that's a bad call and couldn't help pointing it out in a effort to be helpful.

Four people on that list. Three town (in my book), one scum. A nice suspicion list for a scum to have.

You know I wondered why the hell scum wanted to kill me considering they could have gotten me lynched instead. Maybe the poodle is scum, but was indeed the bus driver and targeted me to be killed, and then switched me with the Crocodile. If scum had a the bus driver then why the hell not? 

On 8/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, Parvani Poodle said:

Argh. :cry_sad:

I was the Compulsive Bus Driver. I switched Caladon and Gilford... :cry2:

Caladon is dead... Does it mean that he was killed before I switched them, or did my Bus Driving get Caladon killed instead of Gilford? :wacko:

Hence the drama?

2 hours ago, Benicia Bear said:

YOU HAVE EXPLAINED why you changed your vote, but that wasn't what was asked of you.  

You thought the scum would target Hyacinth because you thought all the town would target Hyacinth and the scum would want to kill all of those townies, and this thought was as a result of you having a last moment epiphany yesterday to realise you didn't think Hyacinth was scum and was actually town to enable her to logiacally be a scum target in the first place. And you ignored the closest we had to confirmed town with Rutherford, who was presumably (certainly in Parvani's mind) left to die last night?

It was a mistake. It was stupid of me to go for the Hippo and I was overthinking it. 

27 minutes ago, Gilford Goat said:

How is calling Bixby's vote bandwagony WIFOM?

2 hours ago, Shainen Sheepdog said:

In what way?  I thought the bomb going off would result in anyone targeting that person being killed in the explosion.  Isn't that the logic he was using for why he said he targeted Hyacinth - to protect any town roles that targeted her?  The flaw in his logic was thinking that she would be a target for the scum kill.  Assuming anything he said was truthful, of course.

This. I don't why Holbrook thinks it is so ludicrous. My thought process was that the scum would give the bomb to someone who would likely be targeted. Becuase of yesterday's events I Assumed that Hyacinth would be targeted a lot. 

7 hours ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

I caaaaan't check exactly wheeeeen these words were saaaaiiiid ((it says "x hours ago"), but why did you waaaaaiiiiiiit for Holbrook to report his results before you reported yoooouuuuurs? We all heard Hyacinth claim tracker yesterdaaaaaaay and since she won't be around to confirm her target, it's a safe claaaaaiiiiim to make.

Like a minute after he posted because I made my "well shit" comment and realized I hadn't attached my BEHOLD! meme announcement.

SHOUTY SHOUTY SHOUT SHOUT

I must admit that my mind also immediately went to vengeful watcher, which I think makes sense if the trickster also gave out vengeful investigator and vengeful tracker.

I'M NOT banking on anything about the Trickster making sense.

On that, we have an accounted for block.  Would that explain why we have not heard about the outcome of Rutherford's vengeful?  Would a block work on a vengeful?  Do we know who else Rutherford might have talked to about being vengeful?

I AGREE about the unaccounted for block, but as I've pointed out before, quite a lot of the actions given out yesterday don't require people to be out and about, so a lot of people might have been the block target without any effect. The vengeful actions, and I'm sure you had this clarified for youself too, occur in Twilight - a period ofter we would have died, so not blockable as it's a time after all the other actions have happened (kills are resolved last). Rutherford could have spoken to anybody, and indeed seemed to speaking to a number of people, but I don't think that had anything to do with him being killed or blocked if he was blocked.

WHAT ARE YOU thinking might have happened with his conversations overnight? Why would it matter who he spoke to about being vengeful?

2 hours ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

I caaaaame to that conclusion because we haven't seen votes disappear yesterdaaaaaay, so I ruled out both vote thief roles.

I just reeeaaaaaad that in the Big Book of the Forrest God. So, my conclusion that Rutherford must have beeeeeeeeen the vengeful watcher may indeed have been preeeeeeemature. We haven't gotten a watcher's reeeeeeeesult from the "twilight business" that the Forrest God had to take care of, which could mean Rutherford has stooooooolen someone's vote for todaaaaaaaaaay.

HMMMM.

1 hour ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

It was a mistake. It was stupid of me to go for the Hippo and I was overthinking it. 

NOBODY is calling you stupid. I have a hard time believing your thought processes, as presented, are actually genuine, however.

51 minutes ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

This. I don't why Holbrook thinks it is so ludicrous. My thought process was that the scum would give the bomb to someone who would likely be targeted. Becuase of yesterday's events I Assumed that Hyacinth would be targeted a lot. 

THE DIFFICULTY I have is that you suddenly believed Hyacinth to be town so strongly as to set you off along those thought processes. It looks very much like, when you came up with this "target" for your given role, you needed to choose someone who was town and dead, but not a death that might have been caused by a bomb. It is entirely possible that you ditched your bomb defusing role for something more nefarious, like bomber or blocker or the mysterious third role. :sceptic: 

7 minutes ago, Benicia Bear said:

NOBODY is calling you stupid. I have a hard time believing your thought processes, as presented, are actually genuine, however.

THE DIFFICULTY I have is that you suddenly believed Hyacinth to be town so strongly as to set you off along those thought processes. It looks very much like, when you came up with this "target" for your given role, you needed to choose someone who was town and dead, but not a death that might have been caused by a bomb. It is entirely possible that you ditched your bomb defusing role for something more nefarious, like bomber or blocker or the mysterious third role. :sceptic: 

My thought process was genuine. What Hyacinth said convinced me enough she was town. Since the bomb kills anyone who targets it my mex thought was "well, who's likely to be targeted the most since the scum would most likely pick that person to be the bomb". The answer to that question was Hyacinth. Was it as perfect thought process? No. I don't have any other roles. The diffuser was the only role I had last night. 

3 hours ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

I assumed the bomb would work as a delaaaaaayed kill with two shots at defuuuuuuusing it. I didn't consider, like you and appaaaaaaarently Shainen too, that it would affect other roles targeting whoever held the bomb laaaaaaast night. From the claims we've heard, it seems like neither Bartosz nor Rutherford were targeted by aaaaaaaanyone last night (well, one of them was most likely killed by a baby dragon hater, but I think it's saaaaaaafe to say that that's the one that didn't have the boooooomb). So what made you chaaaaaaange your mind and (even label it "stupid") about your interpretaaaaaaaation of how the bomb would wooooooork?

33 minutes ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

My thought process was genuine. What Hyacinth said convinced me enough she was town. Since the bomb kills anyone who targets it my mex thought was "well, who's likely to be targeted the most since the scum would most likely pick that person to be the bomb". The answer to that question was Hyacinth. Was it as perfect thought process? No. I don't have any other roles. The diffuser was the only role I had last night. 

The bomb was plaaaaaaanted on night two though, before a lot of the discussion centered on Hyacinth yesterdaaaaaaaay. Didn't you consider sooooooomeone like Rutherford, who was as close as you could get to confirmed "not scum", to be a better taaaaaaaarget? And why didn't you mention who you targeted right awaaaaaaay this morning?

47 minutes ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

So what made you chaaaaaaange your mind and (even label it "stupid") about your interpretaaaaaaaation of how the bomb would wooooooork?

I mean in hindsight targeting Hippo might not have been the best idea. But I had very little to go on. 

47 minutes ago, Leatrix Lamb said:

The bomb was plaaaaaaanted on night two though, before a lot of the discussion centered on Hyacinth yesterdaaaaaaaay. Didn't you consider sooooooomeone like Rutherford, who was as close as you could get to confirmed "not scum", to be a better taaaaaaaarget? And why didn't you mention who you targeted right awaaaaaaay this morning?

It didn't. My main thought process as I've explained, was which players were most likely to be targeted by other town roles.

HELLO HELLO HELLO!

RUTHERFORD! LOOKING VERY PROG ROCK! And a bit see-through and dead.

54 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

022.jpg

THANK YOU RUTHERFORD, good to know nobody wanted to interrupt my honey time. I need more exotic mushrooms, where are those dwagons?

40 minutes ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

I mean in hindsight targeting Hippo might not have been the best idea. But I had very little to go on. 

IT'S BEEN MENTIONED a few times already (at least once by me and by Leatrix) that Rutherford was probably your best bet, seeing he was the closest thing we had to confirmed not-scum. And that's going on the very little we all have to work with. 

40 minutes ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

It didn't. My main thought process as I've explained, was which players were most likely to be targeted by other town roles.

YES, YOU KEEP SAYING THAT, but the point is to protect the player most likely to be targeted by scum, not town. You are not talking like someone who intended to protect.

Voting is now open. With 9 players remaining, it takes 5 votes to achieve a lynch. 48 hours remain in Day Four. (interlude later)

4 hours ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

Since the bomb kills anyone who targets it my mex thought was "well, who's likely to be targeted the most since the scum would most likely pick that person to be the bomb". The answer to that question was Hyacinth. Was it as perfect thought process? No. I don't have any other roles. The diffuser was the only role I had last night. 

Here's the problem, there is no reason to assume that the bomb kills everyone who targets it. You can keep saying it, but it simply isn't true.

This isn't a bomb role, it's a planted bomb. The bomb role page says this:

When a Bomb dies at Night, they kill every player who targeted them with a killing action that Night (unless the action in question was blocked, redirected, etc., and failed to go through as a result).

Clearly, this is not that situation at all. There is no defuser for a person who is a bomb and you and I were both very clearly given defuser roles.

So what was this bomb? The bomb here was an anarchist's bomb. Looking at the page for Anarchy:

• The Anarchist visits two people per night and gives the visited players a bomb. The bomb explodes after 2 days and the player holding it dies.
  • The Bomb-Defuser visits one person each night. He removes a bomb already given or stops someone from receiving a bomb from the Anarchist.

Obviously the 2 people and 2 day situation was changed to 1 each, but otherwise this corresponds directly to the roles we knew existed in this scenario. Again, no reason to think that the bomb would kill anyone except the direct target and potentially the hider if one picked that target.

In other words, nothing you're saying makes sense, not your 'belief' about the role or your choice of target or reasoning behind that choice. Switching your vote to create a temporary tie which could have had an uncertain result didn't make sense either.

7 hours ago, Gilford Goat said:

You know I wondered why the hell scum wanted to kill me considering they could have gotten me lynched instead. Maybe the poodle is scum, but was indeed the bus driver and targeted me to be killed, and then switched me with the Crocodile. If scum had a the bus driver then why the hell not? 

Hence the drama?

Or she just said she did.  Parvani was one of the last to claim on the morning of Day 2.  She could have been waiting to see how the cards fell before committing.   

5 hours ago, Benicia Bear said:

I AGREE about the unaccounted for block, but as I've pointed out before, quite a lot of the actions given out yesterday don't require people to be out and about, so a lot of people might have been the block target without any effect. The vengeful actions, and I'm sure you had this clarified for youself too, occur in Twilight - a period ofter we would have died, so not blockable as it's a time after all the other actions have happened (kills are resolved last). Rutherford could have spoken to anybody, and indeed seemed to speaking to a number of people, but I don't think that had anything to do with him being killed or blocked if he was blocked.

WHAT ARE YOU thinking might have happened with his conversations overnight? Why would it matter who he spoke to about being vengeful?

Good point.  The question about who he talked to about being vengeful is moot given a block would not prevent the vengeful action from being carried out.

10 hours ago, Benicia Bear said:

I THINK A lot of people were. I certainly was until I received my role PM.

Me too and the interlude with Rutherford has finally cleared up the situation.

2 hours ago, Benicia Bear said:

IT'S BEEN MENTIONED a few times already (at least once by me and by Leatrix) that Rutherford was probably your best bet, seeing he was the closest thing we had to confirmed not-scum. And that's going on the very little we all have to work with.

I mean really!

8 hours ago, Gilford Goat said:

While as I noted at the time he tried to start a lynch on Hyacinth, whom he railed on until he apparently had a sudden change of heart last night, and Leatrix hopped on board that wagon.

10 hours ago, Holbrook Horse said:

You’re not mixing it up, bunny did say she protected bear, but I think that’s WIFOM and that bear probs isn’t scum. Ofc at the time I thought Benicia was the trickster and I was wrong about that but my analysis still convinced me she’s not scum.

For @Gilford Goat's benefit I wanted to recall the exact text I wrote, which is much easier on a computer (ignore the bit about Benicia being the trickster, I think we are sufficiently confident I was wrong about that):

On 8/19/2020 at 1:23 PM, Holbrook Horse said:

If Benicia is a scum teammate, why fess up to protecting her? Why not lie and say she protected a townie instead, especially since at that stage there was no risk to her in doing so? I think either Bixby protected Benicia genuinely, or she protected someone else and said it was Benicia after the fact. Benicia would actually know the answer, because she absorbed the action.

7 hours ago, Marlowe Monkey said:

What Hyacinth said convinced me enough she was town.

You need to remove the word "enough" to make it more accurate. :laugh: 

4 hours ago, Benicia Bear said:

I need more exotic mushrooms, where are those dwagons?

Everyone! let's eat some mushrooms, sit around giggling, and wave our fingers around pointing at each other until we all land on one person! GETTING HIGH IS THE ANSWER!!! :snicker:

2 hours ago, Corrina Cow said:

Here's the problem, there is no reason to assume that the bomb kills everyone who targets it. You can keep saying it, but it simply isn't true.

I assumed it as well. Is it even mentioned as a possibility? Surprising. 

But does that make Monkey more or less likely to be scum or the trickster? 

1 hour ago, Holbrook Horse said:

For @Gilford Goat's benefit I wanted to recall the exact text I wrote,

Yeah I looked back at Bunnys quote and it felt forced. 

Or she just said she did.  Parvani was one of the last to claim on the morning of Day 2.  She could have been waiting to see how the cards fell before committing.   

True.