Rudivdk

[FIXED] LDCad to LPub3D - hide parts in instructions

UPDATE: Nevermind this whole thread, I was able to get it working with a regular Buffer Exchange.

Hi all, hope someone can help me here...

I have a car-MOC modelled in LDCad and I am making instructions with LPub3D. I have two different windshield/roof options which make up the last two steps of the  .mpd file. What I want in the instructions is to show version 1 in the next-to-last step, and show version 2 in the last step, without showing version 1 underneeth.

So I guess I need some kind of buffer exchange thing here to get that done, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone have a suggestion, or maybe a working command for this?

Thanks in advance!

PS: if program versions or the .mpd-file are needed to answer the question please let me know and I will share

Edited by Rudivdk
issue fixed

Been searching around the web some more, seems I have to acquaint myself with the 'group' command set a bit more... I'll try some more myself and update here if help is still needed...

Can I somehow use below principle in LDCad? I've been fooling around with it both in LDCad and in LPub3D but can't get it to work...

I know how to create a group in LDCad, but it seems LPub3d does not recognize the group (or group name) I created in LDCad (or at least does not remove it from the page) when I add the REMOVE GROUP command...

The LPub metacommand to remove the group "GroupName" in any step after that group you would use:
0 !LPUB REMOVE GROUP "GroupName"
This command should be placed below the 0 STEP command of the step where you wish to remove the group.
This can be the next step, but also a step further in the model or in a submodel.

Edited by Rudivdk

https://jc-tchang.philohome.com/model/LDCad_a.htm This is a very large LDCAD Tutorial that includes Buffer Exchanges. It's in french but "Google translate" can help with that. I have found it to be very helpful on other issues. He also has a LPUB3D tutorial:  https://jc-tchang.philohome.com/model/LPub3D.htm. I think I would just make separate page images for your second windshield version. Then you could insert pages and add pictures to show that 2nd windshield in LPUB3D.  Many times I've made separate pages or a picture to work around just such a problem.

Make the LPUB3D file show the complete building instruction with the first windshield. Let's say that the BI has that winshield on page 98 of 100. Now, change your LDCAD file replacing windshield 1 with windshield 2. Now, go to page 98 of changed LPUB3D file, and export those last pages as PNG images and add them to the end of your BI. Don't forget, you can add text too.

If you're successful with the group command, please share how you did it here.

35 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

Thanks a lot for these links, I'll study them thoroughly.

I fixed my own issue with a regular buffer exchange. I've placed it around the callout containing the windshield parts, and restored it on the next page containing the callout for the hardtop roof. Worked well for my particular situation. I'll tinker some more with groups to see how that works (I must have the good old MLCAD intalled somewhere still, I can use that to compare...). I'll let you know if it works out or not.

You know I find those buffer exchanges hard to do. I did one successfully once. It was more accidental than purposeful. It was when I was first learning MLCAD. I just kept at it. Finally one attempt turned out right. But, I never really knew why it finally turned out the way I intended.

It only works between two consecutive steps. In my case it was very easy: show an assembly on one page, don't show it on the next.

Usually it is used with floating parts and pointer arrows, and assembled parts in the next step. This makes it way harder because for every floating piece you need to add a 'final' identical piece in the next step, and remove those parts from that steps parts list. It's a bit of precise and repetitive work, but manageable...

I can generate some example code later if you'd like to study further... We could also continue in PM if you want.