Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

22 minutes ago, Albus said:

Just as a little English tidbit, "wake" refers to after an event. It would be more accurate to say we are on the eve of DA's release, just before it's happened. Not trying to criticise, just to help! :D

Pretty good and simple wall, does the job. I'd love to see it with a sliding mechanism or something. 

Ah, I knew something was off about my grammar, ill definitely try to remember that from now on. 

And thank you for the feedback I definitely feel it needs more liveliness, and @karrit had the great idea to use hinges to have it swing open which i might take a crack at

My first change to Diagon alley will be to fix the odd windows in QQS. It seems like one side has three middle vertical window elements (New part?) and the other side has one. Seems off, going to even them out and redesign the inside as the door will be in the middle then. 

8 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I really like the approach to the brick wall here

Same - this is what I had in mind when visualising the entrance.

And I am always blown away by the detail inside each of those shops.

8 hours ago, Bowtruckle44 said:

Since we're in the wake of DA's release, I thought I'd share my brick wall MOC I plan on placing with the display. Its very simple, and while I think its good right now, I think I'll rework it to have a technic connection once I have the set

rsz_20200822_173445.jpg

rsz_20200822_173431.jpg

Thoughts?

I think it depends on the look your going for - a normal wall or the moment it starts opening up?  If it’s a normal wall I think it needs a couple of the ‘brick’ style bricks swapping around as too me it looks too uniform still. Maybe try 3 of the ‘brick’ bricks together in a triangle? When people draw walls they tend to draw a few random bricks instead of each and everyone of them so you might find some inspiration there? Sorry if this is useless information and that is just my opinion so you can just ignore me if that’s the case ? 

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

My first change to Diagon alley will be to fix the odd windows in QQS. It seems like one side has three middle vertical window elements (New part?) and the other side has one. Seems off, going to even them out and redesign the inside as the door will be in the middle then. 

Oh wow I hadn’t even noticed how 1 window in quality quidditch supplies is much wider than the other. It seems Lego got that idea from the film as the windows there look uneven. 

Its Interesting because the shop is different in each of the parks, with only 1 window in one and two even windows in the other 

48 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Oh wow I hadn’t even noticed how 1 window in quality quidditch supplies is much wider than the other. It seems Lego got that idea from the film as the windows there look uneven. 

Its Interesting because the shop is different in each of the parks, with only 1 window in one and two even windows in the other 

yeah I've seen a few versions but I like the even windows with the extra door, extra door optional if it makes it too big. Will have to see how that affects the stickers. 

2 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Probably because it's based off the first two movies, not either of the parks. I'm trying to see if the windows are obviously uneven in those movies but it's suprisingly hard to find concept art or clear shots of those locations.

22 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Probably because it's based off the first two movies, not either of the parks. I'm trying to see if the windows are obviously uneven in those movies but it's suprisingly hard to find concept art or clear shots of those locations.

Yep, apart from WWW the order, size, colour, structure of all the shops is based on the first two films and appears to be very screen accurate. Personally I think this amazing...but of course this is Lego so people can change it to match their own image, or the the theme park etc. Which is cool but I’m not sure why anyone would want to make it less accurate to the source material used. Got to love Lego, make the most screen accurate set ever and then we all start working out how we can change it!!!

45 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

I've just rewatched the 1st movie tonight and got screen captures that might answer one or two questions i've seen on here. The first is a picture of QQS. Which if you look closely you can see that the right hand window has 4 panes and the left window has 8 (Not including the diagonal side panes). So it's 100% accurate with the LEGO set.

https://ibb.co/GTQvdXF

The next thing is that i've seen it mentioned a few times on here that there is a "door" next to QQS and that LEGO decided to make it the Daily Prophet. It is in FACT the Daily Prophet. I noticed in the quick scene between Gringotts and Olivanders it actually shows the sign above the door clearly stating it to be the Daily Prophet which the first picture shows. The second picture shows 2 seconds later where it has scrolled further down the building clearly showing the same sign that is above QQS.

https://ibb.co/d4d12vw
https://ibb.co/sJjN7ys

Hope this gives some clarification.

Edited by chris6507
Changed picture of windows as it didn't show the sign referenced in relation to the Daily Prophet.

2 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

These are great, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

These are great, thanks.

No problem. To be honest I didn't realise just how accurate the set actually is. If you exclude WWW, the set is 100% accurate in order, layout and scale to the first movie.

There is even a blink and you'll miss it shot of the first two buildings (took me 5 attempts to freeze on the right frame as it's so short).

https://ibb.co/1zhMzMv

They walk past these two a second later, but it's quite blurry.

I personally was with most people thinking the set didn't look very good. I was rather underwhelmed as my references previously had been pictures of universal and the London studio tour. After looking at the scene again in a bit more detail. I am 100% sold on the set. It is super accurate to it's source and on the external side I can find little to no faults in the set at all. It's even quelled my irritation at the exclusion of Gringott's as It's much further down the road (although I will agree that WWW doesn't exactly belong attaching to Flourish and Blotts either). So I hope these pictures help some others because they have really made me appreciate the set more than I originally did.

Edited by chris6507

I found this picture which I thought looked identical to the first film depiction of QQS. I have no idea where it came from or who did it though. Just thought I would have a go at trying to upload my first ever picture so be kind ?

C060B77A-B7A3-4390-82AB-A27DBB73C478.jpeg

10 hours ago, more awesomer said:

This was the entrance my daughter came up with for our DA MOC.

794423320_DAMOCEntrance.jpg.a48b6159c71d5f0f2198a71a9ea377c1.jpg

This is great! I'm glad the entrance topic came up today as I'd been meaning to chime in. Last year, as a follow-up to the HP advent calendar I created for my wife in 2018 (Brickset Forums link), I made a little Entrance to Diagon Alley scene for her. I've been wondering if it would work with this new upcoming set. I'm staying away from the leak images, but I have read the description and followed this topic for weeks now. Here are some photos I took of my creation last October. Can't wait to see the official images (soon? maybe? who knows?) to see if this will fit in.

DVW_5924.jpg

DVW_5929.jpg

(We have some of the brick wall stickers from the Hogwarts sets on these panel backs now.)

Edited by dvw2

22 minutes ago, dvw2 said:

Here are some photos I took of my creation last October.

This is really well done! Absolutely love the design and it's quite accurate to the film with the inclusion of the barrels and bottles.

31 minutes ago, dvw2 said:

I've been wondering if it would work with this new upcoming set.

I think it will fit in very well with the new DA.

1 hour ago, Yellowturnip said:

I found this picture which I thought looked identical to the first film depiction of QQS. I have no idea where it came from or who did it though. Just thought I would have a go at trying to upload my first ever picture so be kind ?

*picture*

That is great! Best picture of the film-accurate QQS I’ve seen, it’s even got that pink colour at the top. Thanks for posting it 

1 hour ago, chris6507 said:

No problem. To be honest I didn't realise just how accurate the set actually is. If you exclude WWW, the set is 100% accurate in order, layout and scale to the first movie.

1 hour ago, Yellowturnip said:

I found this picture which I thought looked identical to the first film depiction of QQS. I have no idea where it came from or who did it though. Just thought I would have a go at trying to upload my first ever picture so be kind

Don't get me wrong, I love the set. I just think I'm going to alter that building, nobody really knows what these buildings are supposed to look like anyway. I think that's the first time ever I've seen that image with the odd windows. They have changed them so many times in the movies and they new parks have different versions. I love mocing stuff anyway so I'm gonna shrink that building and create a bit of the daily prophet. It will be fun to do.

27 minutes ago, Zedro said:

the back wall it is a litle bit blend

Agreed! The stickers definitely help spruce it up.

It’s funny to see the one you posted from the Build Your Own Adventure book, which has a pretty similar “opening” method, where the two halves interlock and slide apart. I hadn’t seen that before!

Edited by dvw2

How many years are between CMF series? Do you think CMF Series 3 will exist? I think they are the best way to fill out the wizards in a crowded Diagon Alley

3 hours ago, chris6507 said:

I've just rewatched the 1st movie tonight and got screen captures that might answer one or two questions i've seen on here. The first is a picture of QQS. Which if you look closely you can see that the right hand window has 4 panes and the left window has 8 (Not including the diagonal side panes). So it's 100% accurate with the LEGO set.

https://ibb.co/GTQvdXF

The next thing is that i've seen it mentioned a few times on here that there is a "door" next to QQS and that LEGO decided to make it the Daily Prophet. It is in FACT the Daily Prophet. I noticed in the quick scene between Gringotts and Olivanders it actually shows the sign above the door clearly stating it to be the Daily Prophet which the first picture shows. The second picture shows 2 seconds later where it has scrolled further down the building clearly showing the same sign that is above QQS.

https://ibb.co/d4d12vw
https://ibb.co/sJjN7ys

Wowww haha someone did their research! Crazy how accurate it is, especially that Ice Cream design.

Question though, why would they go this far into being accurate but change the QQS sign? The one on the set just says “Quidditch”

Thanks Chris6507 for sharing those screen grabs. We watched the scenes from PS and CoS a few times the day the leak appeared and couldn’t believe how accurate the set is. I had faith in Lego but they really have surpassed my expectations. 

100% the shops from F&B down to Ollivanders are a replica of those two films. 

After that DA only appeared in HBP and the scenes are focused on Ollivanders and mainly WWW. The set used in the movies did change for that film and is the one at the studio tour in the U.K. 

The order of the shops on the WWW side of the alley for HBP was WWW, F&B, FF, Wiseacres, Ollivanders, Scribbilus. QQS had moved to the other side of the street. 

With the set’s focus on the COS scene it made sense to go with the layout of the first films plus WWW as a nod to the alley as it appeared in HBP. It only meant swapping Wiseacres back to QQS, which is a more recognised shop anyway.

DA in those first two films was pretty close to how I imagined it when I read the books, so I’m very happy with what they did here.

Can anyone recall a set that is more screen accurate? Have been trying to think of one and can’t even get close... 

10 minutes ago, B2Brixet said:

Can anyone recall a set that is more screen accurate? Have been trying to think of one and can’t even get close... 

if you are talking about any theme, probably the 2017 UCS falcon

Edited by Surge

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the set. I just think I'm going to alter that building, nobody really knows what these buildings are supposed to look like anyway. I think that's the first time ever I've seen that image with the odd windows. They have changed them so many times in the movies and they new parks have different versions. I love mocing stuff anyway so I'm gonna shrink that building and create a bit of the daily prophet. It will be fun to do.

The sets are based on the films so in that sense we do know what they should look like, and we also know the set is very accurate.

DA actually didn’t change much, one film set for the first two films and a slightly altered one for HBP. 

...but its Lego so MOC away!  The set makes a great starting point for people to recreate their own image of the scenes from the books.

3 minutes ago, Surge said:

if you talking about any theme, probably the 2017 UCS falcon

Good shout, for some reason I’d overlooked it. Was probably thinking more about scenes from films rather than ships...but you are right the Falcon is up there.

I’m traveling right now to visit my wife’s family, and I found the CMFs in a Target in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I grabbed about 30 (there still plenty left). Can’t wait to open them up when I get home