• Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Set Number: 42105
Set Name: Catamaran
Pieces: 404
Price: $49.99 USD | 49,99 € | £44.99 | $89.99
Links: Lego.com | Bricklink | Brickset

Hey and welcome to my review of the Catamaran, set 42105. This is definitely the most unique set in the 1HY 2020 lineup, and is to my memory the first Technic set on floating hulls. What unique features does this set have? Is it worth dropping $50 on? Let's take a look.

Thanks to Lego for providing this set; as with all these 1HY reviews, the opinions here are my own and not those of Lego. Plus, with reviews like these, I really want photos to speak for themselves as ultimately, only you can decide your own opinion of a set. 

The Box

Front

49206293552_3875bb91cb_c.jpg

The front of the box is one of the most striking from this range, it's a vertical box, and the bright blue and green colors of the set really pop. We can see the 2-in1 advertised, as well as the true savior of a boat set, "BOAT FLOATS." 

Rear

49205595013_9bbf14f5e7_c.jpg

The back of the box showcases the various set functions which we will take a look at shortly. The B model is also shown, it's possibly one of my favorite looking B models of this wave, though we will have to wait until instructions are available to get a true look at this. Once available, photos will be added to this review. 

Sails

49223693082_bb5a08941b_c.jpg

Here's the sails before they have been removed from their sheet. The sails are an interesting material, they sort of remind me of a thick vinyl-like material. They are sturdy, but still provide a lot of flexibility.

Hull

49223691762_337d948c15_c.jpg

Here's a look at the hull, we get two included in the set. There two sets of 1x3 technic holes at the top as you can see, plus another 1x3 on the rear.

Open

49222984113_2810b123b8_c.jpg

For ease of cleaning and draining water, the hull can be opened like so

The Build

Beginning

49223691647_c858b8512d_c.jpg

As we begin the build of the scaffold, we start the foundation for most of the set's functions. You can see two different cranks, these will control the direction of the sails, plus a gear at the back. 

Front Sail mount

49223466671_e82482c028_c.jpg

Here we begin to set up the front sail, you can see how the crank on the right will be used to rotate the front sail left to right.

Dagger Boards

49223466511_0459d2abdd_c.jpg

49223690477_d4f9fbe57d_c.jpg

Next we start building the constructs that will mount the hulls to the scaffold, and as well we build the function for the dagger boards. 

Mounted to hull

49223689947_2ea92388a1_c.jpg

Here we can see what the previous construct is for. If you turn the crank, the dagger boards can be dropped further below the hull.

Mounted

49223465991_0535a17ac6_c.jpg

Here's everything together, mounted extremely securely as you would expect from a Technic set.

Rudders

49222983138_6ff7b19f29_c.jpg

Here's the rear rudders mounted.

Mast

49223689607_b27acc45e5_c.jpg

Here we build the mast, the long axle construct will allow the rear sail to turn.

Mast mounted

49223465876_cbeee083b9_c.jpg

Once the mast is up, you really get a feel for just how big this set is. Yeah, the sails are thin and the width is mostly the hulls, but it still takes a lot of real estate.

Finished set

49223466386_2f5678bd64_c.jpg

Here we are, the finished set. A couple of notes, first, this set doesn't have any stickers. There is some good color variation here, and the graphics on the sails really help to keep the set visually interesting. Also, I have to say, it's a little difficult to get decent photos of this thing, mostly because of those dagger boards and rudders; you really have to have them lined up perfectly in order for this thing to stay upright, otherwise it'll fall forward.

Rear

49223469121_8591db8a2e_c.jpg

Here's a view at the back, there's nothing really noteworthy here, other than seeing all of the cranks and gears used for the sets functions.

Side View

49223469561_888104106a_c.jpg

From this angle you can see what I mean about those pieces underneath. Unless you have this in water, it's always going to "float" like this, about an inch off the ground.

Rudders and rear sail

49222984823_ca77f319a2_w.jpg49222984603_73e839633a_w.jpg

The function here is self explanatory, you turn the gear, it moves the rudders, the cool thing about this is that the white technic beam is essentially 'floating", it's held on by numerous 1x1 beams and so it's able to easily slide around when you turn the gear. You can also see that the rear sail will turn left or right, this is controled by the rear crank on the right.

Front sail

49223693107_73537d20fd_w.jpg49223469556_b1c440d8f0_w.jpg

Similarly, the front sail can turn with the opposite crank.

Detail view

49223694102_fd2bc00a9f_c.jpg

Here's another shot just to give you a view of one of the cranks that will move the dagger board up and down. It's tough to demonstrate in photos, so here is a video of these function-

Overall

In terms of a building experience, I think this was my favorite of the 1HY 2020 models (except for the Crane and Rally car, since I am not reviewing those ones). It's unique, and the functions you build here all serve their purpose very well. The set has a fantastic color scheme, it's got a convincing look, and the final size of the set is pretty large overall; 404 pieces for $50 isn't as good of a deal on paper as the Stunt Truck and Bike which is priced the same, but you get two large floating hulls and those sails to make up for it. With that said, the set feels like it needs to be in water. On land, some of it's functions like the dagger boards, are relatively useless all things considered. It's a fun set, but like many of these, one with a limited audience, I think.

Stay tuned for a review of the B model, when available. Also, I'd like to take some photos of this thing in a more natural, outdoor element in the water... but that'll need to wait a while, since it's currently winter in Michigan.

Torn on this one - I like the over all look, but I think the mechanisms are too much (VERY rare for a Technic set!!!) They look cluttered and color-vomit to me, and they serve no practical purpose since you can't swoosh a boat like you can spaceship or car. I guess play in a bathtub or swimming pool, but even that's pretty limited. 

So I bought and built this in the last couple of days. 

I agree with most of the comments above. This is an unusual model, and an interesting build. It is by far the wobbliest Technic set I have built! The mechanisms are not your normal vehicle stuff and use some interesting techniques and properties of the bricks. 

BUT, it all feels a bit pointless, since it can’t really be played with (no bath in this house). 

I put together a little stand so it can display at an angle. Admiring it for now, not sure how long I will keep it assembled.