Steinbeisserheld

MOC: Stock(racing)car inpired by Nascar Stage I

Hello,

finally my MOC "Stockcar/Racingcar" is finished, nevertheless i have some ideas to improve this crearion and there is a minor issue to fix. So there will be a stage II oder maybe even stage III sometime in the future. But for now i´d like to introduce the first stage of my "Stockcar/Racingcar. Its scale is 1.8, so it is measurments are roundabout 60 cm in length, 25,5cm in width, and 16 cm in height. The weight is about 2,4 kg

I used parts from following sets:

8880 "Supercar"

42077 "Ralleycar"

42069 "Extreme Off Road Car"

42095 "Stuntracer"

And others

Here it is:

46564764635_41a70700de_b.jpg

As you can see in the background i also used some parts from "Cada". Like those two-sided liftarms, the liftarms with pin/connector on the small side, or the 2,4GHz RC. This special liftarms are very helpful to get some stability into the car, and the 2,4GHz RC is less vulnerable than that Lego IR crap from the stoneage.

46756950044_1b73ec1ac9_c.jpg

Front:

32538092027_f81e2c0be5_b.jpg

Back:

46564765055_c0da009d22_b.jpg

Don´t blame me for lazyness, but that Nascar Stockracing Cars don´t have lfront or tailligths these day, they are painted or stickers. So i did´nt use transclear parts to create ligths.

Interieur:

32538092477_9b09cc3e47_c.jpg

Like a real Nascar this Stock racingcar has no doors to open (i am not lazy :laugh: ) but it has an old school H-Shiftgear (taken from the 8880), and a modern racing seat with cheeks to protect the head, like an armchair with ears.

The wheels:

46564765485_69896c1be9_c.jpg

32538092287_0b62665b56_c.jpg

This wheels are a combination of the tires from the 8880 and the rims from the 42077 "Ralley Car" to create some kind of "balloon tire" like a real Nascar. GThe original tires from the 42077 would have been to flat, the rims of the 8880 aren´t white anymore, and they wouldn´t be compatible with the never suspension parts. Since Nascar is very old school the wheels are mounted with 5 lugnuts, they don´t have a central lock like modern racecars. To create something similar i put  crosspins with an toothed half-stoper (also taken from the 8880) in the 3 open holes.

The frontend:

46564765765_ec875ed920_c.jpg

Here is the (fake)engine. It looks a little bit lost, you wouldn´t expect this in a real Nascar, but they have the engine also hidden low behind the front axle, so that an open hood on a real nascar looks somehow empty. Since the servomotor for the steering control is positioned beneath that fake-engine,that fake-engine is mounted a little bi higher than it should be. Because of the working steering i also couldn´t put it behind the front axle. There is no moving video yet, but i managed to create a construction with a working steering, and moving pistons. They shouldn´t interfere with another, that´s why the fake-engine had to be mounted that high. If you look closer, you will see the blue suspension parts from the 8880. My first idea was to create a modell with a drivetrain from the 8880 and a bodywork from newer parts. In the progress i swaped a ot of parts and the wheels from the 8880 disappeared from that modell because they were very yellowed, and it ould be a pain in the megablocks tocreate a rear axle since the 8880 had a rear wheel steering and i would have to fix the wheels. So i put the old wheels aside and the new wheelhubs in the old suspension parts. Maybe i swap them in a later version, but not now. I would have to change the whole geometry to keep the width since the newer suspension parts are one unit shorter.

Regarding a later version of this car: I mentioned one minor issue. As you maybe have seen there are a lot of wires, mtoros and batterieboexes. The idea was not to just create a model car, it should move on its own. I put 4 L-Motors direkctly on the rear axle, a servomotor to the steering wheel, and for laughs, i put an left over M-Motorto the fake-engine. In an early state, the chassis without bodywork moved very well. But now, the complete car weihgs roundabout 2,4 kg, ant it barely moves an the table, and it won´t move at all on the carpet. I think i have to do some homework to get some performance into that car. I have to slim down the weight, and make some thougts if and how i could put more power in the drive train. One possibility maybe to add 4 additional motors, but that would require additional batterieboxes, and a lot of gears to combine the additional motors with the existing gears, that would mean to have more weight, and more friction. It would be questionable if this wouldn´t consume the extrapower so that i wouldn´t gain any extra performance. So there is something to think about, and maybe a lot of work to do. So i introduce that version of my Stockracingcar now and take a lot of time for an improved version.

So, that´s it for now. please share your thougts. Is it "Hot or Schrott"? (german word for scrap metal)

Edited by Steinbeisserheld

Where do you get those "parts from "Cada"?

Change the gearing between motor and model to get it moving.

Like most of us you have learned the hard way. Only after all that designing and building do you find out it's too heavy. It can be very frustrating, but now you know.

4 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Where do you get those "parts from "Cada"?

Change the gearing between motor and model to get it moving.

Like most of us you have learned the hard way. Only after all that designing and building do you find out it's too heavy. It can be very frustrating, but now you know.

Hello,

thank you for your answer:

Regarding the first question: I bought one set of building blocks on ebay, but there are also a lot of webshops in asia, like aliexpress or yourwobb.com where you can purchase products from "Cada" Cada is a subbrand of "Double Eagle" http://en.doubleeagle.cc/products_indexjm.html

I don´t support/propagate copycats like L***n or D****l, but there are a lot of legal alternative building blocks available from manufactors with own creations and even own types of building blocks that Lego doesn´t provide, like that two-sided liftarms or RC-controlled PF. I usually don´t mix, but in this case these special parts have a serious purpose.

Regarding the Functions. The idea was to put the motordrives directly onto the differential to minimze inner friction and get a maximum of performance. Changing the ratio would mean to put additional gears into this construction. I think it would work, but it would lower the speed. Maybe it´s worth a try, maybe i´ll find another solution some day.

But to be realistic: Building a modell this big and provide some solidity comes with a lot of weight, and the Lego PF don´t have reasonable punch. So the idea building a modell this size, motorize it, and expect some decent performance is a bit crazy. :iamded_lol: I think a model in the scale of the 42093 Corvette with 4 L-Motors would have been a lot of fun. Maybe that´s the solution, to take the motordrive out and put it into another smaller car and let this nascar be what it should be: A nice display model.