Sign in to follow this  
Hasaf

FLL Season is over for us

For those who are not aware, Lego sponsors a robotics competition called First Lego League. The first regional is in March and was last weekend. Frankly, we didn't do great.

That being said, a lot of things went very well. We discovered, at the last minute that the files from Lego'd Windows IDE ire in a different format from the files on the Lego Chromebook IDE. We discovered that because all we had brought were Chromebooks, while the programs were developed on the Windows machines. We had to make a last minute change due to a rules-based issue. We found out that we couldn't.

Another team saw this and let us used their laptop to make the changes we needed (the actual files were on a USB drive). In general, all of the teams were very supportive of each other.

As you can see, we went with a forklift based design. We used several implements that were plugged into the front of the forklift. The gyrosensor, that is visible in the picture, is used to make the robot go straight (a constant source of frustration with the EV3 robots).

2019-FLL-Robot.jpg

Edited by Hasaf

I've been a referee in Holland (Zwolle region) for 11 years now, also some teams of mine did attend the events (when I still worked in High school), of course with another referee at that table ;) Always a challenge, and programming the robot is just one part of course... To make young children excel is not that easy, but if they learn a lot and have good time that is the most valuable I think.