Sign in to follow this  
knotian

Hard Scale modelling lesson learned / question

I am modelling an ore unloading crane (Hulett) circa 1900-1940's. I've done scale models from scratch and followed the research, drawing, etc steps. I made one mistake:classic: which I don't intend to make again. I scaled the build to outside dimensions to get what I consider Mini-fig scale of about 1:35-40. Structure came out good, major machinery worked (not visible so not scale), and the model looked good. Howsomever when adding moving/operational details they could not be built and operated since they were too big for the scale selected! So I am going back to the drawing board, building these parts as small as feasible, then determining the scale necessary, re-scaling the main structure and rebuilding. The major problem I see is hiding motors and it looks like motors are going to be the limiting factor in Lego Scale building.

How do you handle the situation where a part that needs to move is too small to contain the power source. I am thinking of chain / rope drive and motor hidden in the structure.

How would you handle a steam powered model that had winches and pistons operating levers etc.? Just hide the motor as best you can? Or skip that model.

Thanx

Ed

Don't skip the model and look that you can hide the motors at a place inside ore below in the base floor. Because you did not give as some pictures what the result is till now it's not easy to see what exact the problem is.