Sign in to follow this  
greg3

Universal Carrier Ambulance [Brickmania MOD]

The Universal Carrier was one of the most widely produced armoured vehicles of WW2. More commonly known as the "Bren Gun Carrier", they were originally developed by the British to carry a machine gun and its crew but went on to be used in a huge variety of roles.

At a push, the standard Carrier could carry stretchers across the rear cargo area but this was far from ideal so the New Zealand Army developed a dedicated ambulance variant. It saw use mainly during the Italian campaign. In the rough mountainous terrain, its tracks allowed it to reach casualties that conventional wheeled vehicles couldn't. My version is based on this photo of an ambulance serving with the New Zealand 18th Armoured Regiment...

33311834218_360a4c78b2_b.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

My version began life as a standard Brickmania Universal Carrier before being modified...

47180262791_b8f9f8a1f0_c.jpgUniversal Carrier Ambulance [MOD] by g.nat, on Flickr

Most obviously I added a "canvas" roof to protect the casualties and crew from the elements. I also switched the colour to white which, along with the prominent Red Cross markings, gave it protection under the Geneva Convention.

47180262801_e2bd1c7138_c.jpgUniversal Carrier Ambulance [MOD] by g.nat, on Flickr

The rear cargo area was also modified as in the real life version, with the side armour being extended right to the back which is left opened up to allow stretchers to be slid in easily. My version can carry 2 stretchers (but not the casualties unfortunately - unless you take their arms off!! :distressed: ). In the real version the stretchers would lie on the floor of the cargo area, either side of the engine but that just wasn't possible at this scale!!

47180262841_f85a484aa1_c.jpgUniversal Carrier Ambulance [MOD] by g.nat, on Flickr

I've also added extra external storage; a rack of jerry cans on one side and a storage box at the front. The vehicle ID marking is for the 18th Armour Regiment.

46266069475_37343792bb_c.jpgUniversal Carrier Ambulance [MOD] by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally a picture with my medic (figure from United Bricks) I need to get some more WW2 British/Commonwealth troops I think!! 

33305040228_8f8974ac42_c.jpgUniversal Carrier Ambulance [MOD] by g.nat, on Flickr

The Universal Carrier is one of my favourite armoured vehicles and I plan to do a few more variants - so with this space!!

In the meantime, thanks for looking... comments are always welcome!!