Sign in to follow this  
General Magma

Modern Retro LEGO

I've been seeing some retro modern LEGO figures pop up over the past few years that combine classic minifig pieces (such as heads without pupils, generally smiley faces, and classic torsos) with new parts while keeping to minimalist style in regards to detail.
Even the figures with dual molded parts still gave off this vibe. They looked like something you might've seen in a classic LEGO game.
So now I am wondering, does anyone have other examples of what I'd like to call "Modern Retro LEGO", and might there be anyone here who indulges in this theme? I think not very many, since I have not found many. But it would be nice to instigate such a thing.
Whether it be MOCs that use certain modern parts (to limited degree) while still giving off a really "retro LEGO" vibe, capturing a certain essence of simplicity, or figures that do the same, it would be awesome to see more of these. Feel free to post anything that may resemble this idea. I may try my hand at it later, but for now, I'm interested in seeing what others have done with it. Off the top of my head, there was one swashbuckler figure that I saw on Flickr, using a CitizenBrick pokerface (a neutral version of the classic smileyface) and dual molded pirate legs,
but I can't quite seem to find it anymore. I'll add it to the first post if I happen to stumble upon it again, I think it's a good example of how far you can go with the detail on a figure while still having it give off a real 'retro' or 'classic' vibe.

The 60th anniversary sets came with standard minifigure heads, and unprinted torso's.

But since those sets also include newer colors of torso/legs and many more modern accesoires and hairpieces it sort of is modern-retro.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Classic/subtheme-Building-Bigger-Thinking - I mean this line of sets.

I think the upcoming Pink Spaceman is modern retro too.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/13/2018 at 2:33 AM, TeriXeri said:

The 60th anniversary sets came with standard minifigure heads, and unprinted torso's.

But since those sets also include newer colors of torso/legs and many more modern accesoires and hairpieces it sort of is modern-retro.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Classic/subtheme-Building-Bigger-Thinking - I mean this line of sets.

I think the upcoming Pink Spaceman is modern retro too.

It's cool to see they're still keeping the classic minifig head around!

With that said, does anybody use Emmet and Benny's alternate expressions as part of their classic minifigure assortment?
I think Rex Dangervest's would work well alongside any 90s minifigures, too. He gives off that retro vibe in quite a few ways, though mostly due to his lack of white pupils/eye shines.