Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

LDD Hinge help with the universal joint

Hi there!

Is there a way to get the A2 combination? I can´t get the joint move like that - it just gives me B2 or A1!

44766859251_b618d8e676_o.jpg

44737009002_e0698848ce_o.jpg

Thanks!

You need to rotate the middle disc too.

Click several times on the same (sub)part to change the hinge point: the ends have one hinge point, the middle disc has two.  If you click on an end, only the end will rotate (and be surrounded in red), if you click on the middle disc (not always easy), it will rotate (and one end will follow).

Sorry but I must be slow. I can get three different things to move - each end (big redlined boxes) and the middle (small thin box). But it still moves sideways, on the angle of the joint itself - the X - instead of straight up or down. What´s my mistake? Or do you mind making a .lxf file of just the joint with say 45 degrees for me to import?

This is the three:

30917057098_7d8224aaf0_o.jpg

You need to rotate BOTH the end and the middle disc.

The part hinges on two orthogonal planes.  You can’t achieve an out-of-plane rotation with only one in-plane rotation, you need two.

Take the unmodified part, put an axle in one end and a brick with hole around the axle than turn the axle by 45°.  You have your X.

Now, rotate the middle disc and the other end to achieve your 45° “up” angle.  I didn’t do the math but with one of the middle disc’s angles at around -150° and the other at around 35°, it looks okay.

9 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Take the unmodified part, put an axle in one end and a brick with hole around the axle than turn the axle by 45°.  You have your X.

Now, rotate the middle disc and the other end to achieve your 45° “up” angle.  I didn’t do the math but with one of the middle disc’s angles at around -150° and the other at around 35°, it looks okay.

Thanks for your patience!

The first part is ok - I have my X. But I can´t click so I get both the middle disc AND the other end to move, and I get an angled green arrow all the time.

44788800721_0a2d188dda_o.jpg

On the left assembly, click once again on the middle disc.  LDD will propose you the second possible rotation.

On the right assembly, click twice on the middle disc.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:36 PM, SylvainLS said:

Thanks - after a good sleep it finally became clear what you ment and I should have understood :blush:! Thanks for the help!