I would like to show you a wonderful project for students.

The Kibble balance (in history called Watt balance) is used in metrological institutes to determine relation between Planck constant and macroscopic mass at level of kilogram. Such a device is very complicated and extremely expensive. However a new SI system is being based also on results of these devices.

To show students principles of Kibble balance, a Lego Kibble balance was developed by NIST (metrological institute of USA). One need lego pieces, but also some laser pointers, magnets, wires and digitizers with computers to build it. The lego Kibble balance has precision to 1 % (real Kibble balance has precision about 0.000 000 01 %).

NIST released paper with description, video, cad file, software, and instructions for additional electronics. Links to these are lower.

Recently I have visited RISE, swedish metrological institute. They have also built the Lego Kibble balance recently. Pictures are shown lower.

There is more system Lego bricks than technic, and a lot of non-Lego stuff, however I had no idea which forum is better for this topic, and it seems to me that the nature of the project is purely "technical". I tried to find out if someone already posted this on Bricklink, but no success. So if administrators think this should go into another forum or was already posted in history, topic can be (re)moved.

So enjoy top quality scientific Lego measurement device that is pushing frontiers towards brighter future!

My pictures of RISE Kibble balance:

CAM00929.jpg?raw=1

CAM00930.jpg?raw=1

CAM00931.jpg?raw=1

CAM00932.jpg?raw=1

CAM00933.jpg?raw=1

CAM00934.jpg?raw=1

CAM00935.jpg?raw=1

CAM00936.jpg?raw=1

NIST video about Kibble balance:

Link to paper with additional sources:

https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1119/1.4929898

I've always known that Lego is perfect to teach. Its one of the most complicated science projects with LEGO. Awesome work! 

Edited by Corrado