Feng-huang0296

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part 2019 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another wave late this year or early next year, just as we did for The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie. Sure, some folks are anecdotally observing that the sets aren't selling well, but people said the same thing about Nexo Knights even in its first year, and it not only ended up being successful and surpassing the LEGO Group's sales targets, but also lasting a solid two and a half years.

Another omission that still stands out to me is the other vampire girl who showed up alongside Balthazar in his debut scene.

She's already released. Celeste is her name, and she was included with the Space Palace. We are still missing the other guy though. He wasn't physically present in the display at Lego House though, so I've a hunch he was never actually made.

I don't think we'll see any more TLM2 sets though, tbh. Three waves is kind of the standard for movie themes. I'd surely welcome more sets, as there were tonnes of interesting builds that haven't seen commercial release. As it stands there are 28 sets, 20 CMFs, the Sewer Babies pack, 2 pods, and 6 polybags. The theme is already gigantic. While more sets would def be welcome, at this point I think they'd just cannibalize sales of the already released product. 

Edited by klinton
Grammar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, klinton said:

As it stands there are 28 sets, 20 CMFs, the Sewer Babies pack, 2 pods, and 6 polybags. 

I think the Syspocalypstar "set" will be another pack like the Sewer Babies one, or one of those new packs like the Spiderman one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

 

I think the Syspocalypstar "set" will be another pack like the Sewer Babies one, or one of those new packs like the Spiderman one

Nope. It'll be a boxed set, like 'Benny's Space Squad' or 'Unikitty's Sweetest Friends'. The accessory packs are numbered differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, klinton said:

She's already released. Celeste is her name, and she was included with the Space Palace. We are still missing the other guy though. He wasn't physically present in the display at Lego House though, so I've a hunch he was never actually made.

I don't think we'll see any more TLM2 sets though, tbh. Three waves is kind of the standard for movie themes. I'd surely welcome more sets, as there were tonnes of interesting builds that haven't seen commercial release. As it stands there are 28 sets, 20 CMFs, the Sewer Babies pack, 2 pods, and 6 polybags. The theme is already gigantic. While more sets would def be welcome, at this point I think they'd just cannibalize sales of the already released product. 

Oh, whoops, I didn't even notice that the other one of Balthazar's vampire pals was a boy!

I don't know if these three waves would necessarily rule out future sets, though, since while the LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie themes each only got about three waves of non-D2C sets each, their final waves came out in December/January, about a full year after their initial wave! The same was true for Ninjago City Docks' North American release date compared to the first wave of LEGO Ninjago Movie sets. Whereas we got both the second and third waves of LEGO Movie 2 sets closer to the MIDDLE of the year.

So in terms of number of waves or number of sets, it's true that the LEGO Movie 2 theme has gone just as far as any of its predecessors… but in terms of duration, precedent suggests there could potentially still be more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Oh, whoops, I didn't even notice that the other one of Balthazar's vampire pals was a boy!

I don't know if these three waves would necessarily rule out future sets, though, since while the LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie themes each only got about three waves of non-D2C sets each, their final waves came out in December/January, about a full year after their initial wave! The same was true for Ninjago City Docks' North American release date compared to the first wave of LEGO Ninjago Movie sets. Whereas we got both the second and third waves of LEGO Movie 2 sets closer to the MIDDLE of the year.

So in terms of number of waves or number of sets, it's true that the LEGO Movie 2 theme has gone just as far as any of its predecessors… but in terms of duration, precedent suggests there could potentially still be more to come.

Well, there are still four unallocated set numbers between the Triple Decker Couch Mech and the Sparkle Babies... so perhaps? I kinda equally hope that you're right and that you're wrong, hahaha. While looking at the numbers for my previous post I did some quick calculations, and this theme has already set me back over 2500$ (already considerably more than I spent on the entire TLM theme). I'm still missing two polybags and these last three sets at this point. I think my bank account is ready for the theme to end more than anything. :p

Regardless of the timing though, this really does feel like a 'final wave', no? Just the contents of these sets feel like the equivalent of the "Double Decker Couch" or "Justice League Party": some desired minifigs and some homeless setting pieces. I dunno. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Oh, whoops, I didn't even notice that the other one of Balthazar's vampire pals was a boy!

I don't know if these three waves would necessarily rule out future sets, though, since while the LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie themes each only got about three waves of non-D2C sets each, their final waves came out in December/January, about a full year after their initial wave! The same was true for Ninjago City Docks' North American release date compared to the first wave of LEGO Ninjago Movie sets. Whereas we got both the second and third waves of LEGO Movie 2 sets closer to the MIDDLE of the year.

So in terms of number of waves or number of sets, it's true that the LEGO Movie 2 theme has gone just as far as any of its predecessors… but in terms of duration, precedent suggests there could potentially still be more to come.

Wasn't it originally rumoured that these six sets of waves 2 and 3 were originally going to be one wave? I think it might be that these three sets aren't being released at the time of Wave 2, and the Palace, Spa and Couch Mech were supposed to be released at the same time. But after TLM2 did poorly at box office, they pushed them up to release at the same time as the Toy Story and Spider-Man sets to renew interest and ensure that their market - children - weren't so enamoured by the more familiar IPs that they forgot The Lego Movie 2 was even a thing. In which case there'd still be a third planned wave. 

Just a theory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I cannot recommend the Party Bus highly enough! I got it mostly on a whim (I had loads of VIP points to burn and honestly the biggest initial draw for me was getting the first set to feature a new color), but I had a blast building it. The fold-out functions and light brick feature make it the most entertaining LEGO vehicle set I've seen in... well, ever.

Ditto. That beautiful coral aside, it was such a fun build & the end result is quite satisfying. It’s a great looking ship-bus with a fantastic interior & nice play features. The shape of the thing & its a really solid set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aanchir said:

And "barely anyone even saw the movie" is a pretty severe overstatement,

Well, with the movie only making 4.3 million Euro in Germany I don't think this is an overstatement considering established metrics for movies. An average "big" movie around here makes 20 million in its first week and even many independent movies make more overall after a few weeks running than TLM2 did. Those 4.3 million literally translate to only about 200000 people having seen it at all. That for all intents and purposes is a measly number for this kind of film. In fact around the time it actually ran in cinemas many people reported half-empty theaters to begin with even in kids-friendly matinees. You can interpret this however you want, but it remains a failure. It takes little brain power to take a guess how minor a ripple effect this may have had on actual set purchases solely based on viewing experiences. Arguably most buying decisions had nothing to do with seeing the film or even being aware of it at all.

13 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not sure that's a sign of something being "wrong" when store exclusives are a pretty normal thing in larger themes regardless of what size/price point they end up being. Who's to say that Smyths wasn't planning to have an exclusive all along, and that just happened to be the one that LEGO agreed on for them?

C'mon, a 30 Euro set that they are already kicking out at 22 Euro? Unlikely. Again the story seems to be a totally different one as a lot of people were actually pretty sure this particular set was already scrapped and would never come out. So to me this seems more like an effort to minimize distribution cost by only having a few channels.

Mylenium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 3:19 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Wasn't it originally rumoured that these six sets of waves 2 and 3 were originally going to be one wave? I think it might be that these three sets aren't being released at the time of Wave 2, and the Palace, Spa and Couch Mech were supposed to be released at the same time. But after TLM2 did poorly at box office, they pushed them up to release at the same time as the Toy Story and Spider-Man sets to renew interest and ensure that their market - children - weren't so enamoured by the more familiar IPs that they forgot The Lego Movie 2 was even a thing. In which case there'd still be a third planned wave. 

Just a theory. 

I think it's got to be something like that it wouldn't make sense to not only have such a small wave 2 and 3 or to forgo the usual release schedule 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, danth said:

Okay so there are more Lego Movie 2 sets coming out?

These upcoming 3 sets are the last sets as far as we know. There could ofcourse be another wave but there is nothing pointing to more sets atm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 11:20 AM, Renny The Spaceman said:

I think it's got to be something like that it wouldn't make sense to not only have such a small wave 2 and 3 or to forgo the usual release schedule 

This is more or less in line with normal releases. The second wave of TLM sets consisted of the Construct-o-Mech, Benny's Spaceship!, and the Super Secret Police Dropship, comparable to the four larger sets we got in May. The third and final wave was three small sets, comparable to these three coming in August.

I think the release schedule has been truncated, due to the mediocre response to the film. We're getting these next sets sooner than later, as the hype from the film cools off. /shrug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of hoping there'll be one more wave next year.

Mainly because these three newly revealed ones still don't include the big "Spaceship Unikitty" from the final battle. Or Benny/Balthazar's ship, or Metalbeard's ship, but it's the Unikitty that I really, really want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'm kind of hoping there'll be one more wave next year.

 

  Hide contents

Mainly because these three newly revealed ones still don't include the big "Spaceship Unikitty" from the final battle. Or Benny/Balthazar's ship, or Metalbeard's ship, but it's the Unikitty that I really, really want.

 

Extremely same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'm kind of hoping there'll be one more wave next year.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Mainly because these three newly revealed ones still don't include the big "Spaceship Unikitty" from the final battle. Or Benny/Balthazar's ship, or Metalbeard's ship, but it's the Unikitty that I really, really want.

 

Oh, I hope there are several more waves, tbh. The Lego Movie sets are quite literally my favorite Lego sets, ever. They cannot possibly release enough, imho. I'm just trying to be pragmatic about it. I really don't think we'll see another wave after this. I hope I'm dead wrong though. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'm kind of hoping there'll be one more wave next year.

I honestly don't think so. The only thing where this would work realistically IMO would be a big exclusive set, but LEGO already have spent their ammo on Apocalypseburg. A second such expensive set for the same movie would be unlikely. Other than that with interest in the movie having plummeted to abysmally low values and only a low resurgence to be expected now that it's coming out on digital media there simply would be little sense in bringing out more sets. As I said already even the current ones already appear to be on permanent clearance discounts here in Germany and nobody is likely going to stock up on more TLM2 sets, no matter what.

Mylenium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mylenium said:

I honestly don't think so. The only thing where this would work realistically IMO would be a big exclusive set, but LEGO already have spent their ammo on Apocalypseburg. A second such expensive set for the same movie would be unlikely. Other than that with interest in the movie having plummeted to abysmally low values and only a low resurgence to be expected now that it's coming out on digital media there simply would be little sense in bringing out more sets. As I said already even the current ones already appear to be on permanent clearance discounts here in Germany and nobody is likely going to stock up on more TLM2 sets, no matter what.

Mylenium

As I've said before, the situation you observe in Germany doesn't seem to be the case here in America. I kind of WISH there were widespread clearances on the Lego Movie 2 sets, since there's quite a few that are out now that I'm still looking to pick up, but for the most part retailers (both online and brick-and-mortar) don't seem to be having a problem moving product even at full price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, Lyichir said:

I'm kind of hoping there'll be one more wave next year.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Mainly because these three newly revealed ones still don't include the big "Spaceship Unikitty" from the final battle. Or Benny/Balthazar's ship, or Metalbeard's ship, but it's the Unikitty that I really, really want.

 

Spoiler

I myself want a set for Batman/Wannabi's spaceship combo form. Though I suppose she wouldn't be too hard to build once I get the Build Whatever set.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 7:56 PM, Lyichir said:

As I've said before, the situation you observe in Germany doesn't seem to be the case here in America. I kind of WISH there were widespread clearances on the Lego Movie 2 sets, since there's quite a few that are out now that I'm still looking to pick up, but for the most part retailers (both online and brick-and-mortar) don't seem to be having a problem moving product even at full price.

From what I gather observing some other toy-related stuff on the Internet selling stuff at full price until the last minute seems common practice, only for the prices then to drop extremely near the end of life. So I guess overall the economics aren't that much different. You just have to wait longer. I'd also like to point out that in fact the US (and the UK) were the only countries where the movie was okay-ish-ly successful, so in my view the situation is kinda reversed: You have to pay higher prices simply because demand is greater to begin with while at the same time LEGO may have put the brakes on production of these sets, resulting in limited availability of some and further contributing to keeping the prices relatively high/ stable.

Mylenium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I do see pretty big discounts on the smaller wave 1 TLM 2 sets on Amazon but then they lock them behind Prime most of the time :facepalm:

I know you can free trial every 12 months but it still doesn't work Amazon-wide, so you don't get the benefits from UK, DE, FR etc at the same time :wacko:

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to see the Lucy not only gets one, but two new face prints (i.e. four expressions) in this wave :thumbup: The Rex hairpiece in reddish brown is also a neat addition :classic: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ''Everything is Awesome'' Album print is pretty neat!

I'm definetely getting the 2 smaller sets but at 50 euro the ship is a hard pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one to appreciate the Star Fighter set? It’s got a cool colour scheme, a neat build and every single character in that set has a new face print, including the stars :sweet: Plus the aforementioned hairpiece recolour :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Am I the only one to appreciate the Star Fighter set? It’s got a cool colour scheme, a neat build and every single character in that set has a new face print, including the stars :sweet: Plus the aforementioned hairpiece recolour :thumbup:

I quite like it as well. The star-dropping function also looks neat! And the fact that it's the first Lego Movie 2 set to use Lucy's classic hood piece is another plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.