Takanuinuva

Why hasn't Johnny Thunder come back?

On 6/4/2018 at 5:45 PM, Aanchir said:

I think Ninjago does an OK job keeping the team dynamic from becoming monotonous by letting different characters be the "star" for each story arc since season 3. For instance, Jay was the star of Season 6, Kai and Nya were the co-stars of season 7, Cole was the star of Day of the Departed, etc.

That said, as far as set designs go, it doesn't always make a huge difference whether a theme has a singular star or splits the focus among the team. Even in Adventurers' debut year, Johnny Thunder was not in that many more sets than his teammates despite being the theme's star, and unlike themes like Ninjago or Alpha Team or Nexo Knights, the Adventurers vehicles usually weren't conspicuously coded to specific characters.

Yeah, as far as I can remember, Lego has tended to prefer a team of heroes to a singular hero. Even Johnny Thunder wouldn't have been nearly as cool without his fellow adventurers. In fact, the only time I can recall a focus on one singular hero was Jack Stone.

It's kind of a shame that 2018 has gone by without at least an Adventurers inspired action/adventure theme, as this year after all was the twentieth anniversary of the debut of the original line. Heck, do you know that both Fisher Price's Imaginext and Playmobil currently have their own playset lines inspired after the genre (Treasure Hunters and The Explorers respectively)?