Sign in to follow this  
kjm161

[MOC] Harry Potter: Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box

39843402625_3b7ac3201d_c.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Video of music box function: 25865240457_1077940a00_c.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

If you have ever played the online mystery game “The Room” you know that the game involves beautiful and complex puzzle boxes that contain marvellous moving parts and multiple clues. I wanted to create a similar box out of LEGO but that also included a Harry Potter magical bent. This is the result, my Magical Creatures Musical Puzzle Box. I drew inspiration from many sources for this puzzle/music box. The general themes are the magical creatures from Harry Potter with kinetic puzzles that refer to puzzles/mysteries in the first and last of the Harry Potter novels. Each side of the box has a unique function those being: 

Side 1  A combination safe whose mechanism is borrowed from MocBuild101. The combination can be discerned from clues on this side of the box. The safe contains items from the four founders of Hogwarts and a couple of horcruxes. 

26867922768_34a8f8a86b_z.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

38928908790_d13809fc3b_z.jpgHPMCMPB by Karen Metz, on Flickr

39842368995_970e7dd3df_z.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Side 2   A hidden drawer with key card mechanism contains the Deathly Hallows. This side also contains the mechanism for music box function with rotating magical creatures.

40695191772_5cc4bf87b0_z.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

25867337637_7e4d3dedbf_z.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Side 3  A sliding puzzle inspired from one created by “Mahj” that also hides the winged keys room and potions puzzle from the first novel. The Deathly Hallows symbol artwork is from AnoraMakani.

26867801908_c984107d45_c.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

40027060464_21992c070d_z.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Side 4 The Devil’s Snare Room moving parts are inspired from LEGO’s Doctor Strange set and Jason Allemann aka JK BrickWorks “Inside the Mind of A LEGO Engineer”. 

25867615507_f648ed93dc_z.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creature Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

40696159202_c667d2c91d.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creature Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

26867587808_7a9a48577a.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Each corner of the box can open to reveal more magical creatures. The top of the box has four magical creatures that rotate when the music plays. 

40696697502_2c2fc42708.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

40695551202_7ec6b77728.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

40737665391_464014dd87.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

25866235887_86c062e597.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

40694946202_1f948ee471.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Music Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

The box was built with almost all LEGO parts except a Brick Forge Centaur lower part and torch and three Brick Forge potion bottles, a Brick Warriors Elder Wand and of course the “Hedwig’s Theme” music box. Unfortunately one LEGO piece, the spiral horn, was harmed to make unicorn and I painted an umbrella pink and Moaning Myrtle’s hair. Some custom stickers were added as well.

25867331087_14b1950920.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

25867337247_e238086111.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Magical creatures/objects:  Mermaids, Half-Giant (Hagrid [Gryffindor]), Witches (Bellatrix LeStrange [Slytherin], Professor Pomona Sprout [Hufflepuff] and Luna Lovegood [Ravenclaw]), Owls (Hedwig, Pigwidgeon and Errol), Phoenix (Fawkes), House-elf (Dobby), Goblin (Griphook), Kneazle/Cat hybrid (Crookshanks), Toad (Trevor),  Animagus (Scabbers Rat), Troll, Mandrake, Devil’s Snare, Mirror of Erised, Three-headed Dog (Fluffy), Winged Keys, Animated/Guarding Portrait (Fat Lady), Dementor, Viper Snake (Nagini), Acromantula (baby Arragog), Unicorn, Centaur (Firenze), Hippogriff (Buckbeak), Thestral, Norwegian Ridgeback Dragon (Norbert), Werewolf (Professor Remus Lupin), Poltergeist (Peeves), Doxy, Ghost (Moaning Myrtle), Boggart (as Professor Snape in drag), Rememberall, Time turner, Elder Wand. Invisibility Cloak, Resurrection Stone, Marvolo Gaunt’s Ring, Salazar Slytherin’s Locket, Helga Hufflepuff’s Cup, Goddric Gryffindor’s Sword, Rowena Ravenclaw’s Diadem, Tom Riddle’s Diary, Marauder’s Map, Holographic Wizard Trading Card from Chocolate Frog Box (Dumbledore)

(Many of the photos are short video clips if you click on the Flickr link. There are some more photos on my Flickr page)

Hope you enjoy!

Hope this works to show video of the puzzle box.  Didn't seem to. If someone knows how to embed videos I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMqffIuyyo[/media]

Edited by kjm161
video did not work

This is gorgeous! Great job. I love all the little details and I'd love to know how it all works!

2 hours ago, Catanas said:

This is gorgeous! Great job. I love all the little details and I'd love to know how it all works!

Thanks! If you go to the Youtube link above or below it shows how many of the mechanisms work. Here is a picture of the interior with the devil's snare room removed that has some of the gears for the music box and top rotation.

39842366495_c3b8d89fce.jpgHarry Potter Magical Creatures Puzzle Box by Karen Metz, on Flickr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMqffIuyyo

17 hours ago, sunhuntin said:

Incredible!! So many details and clever ideas, well done.

Thanks, I had so many more ideas and a few more magical creatures to include but nowhere to put them.

3 hours ago, Black Numenorean said:

This is a huge box with a lot of details! good job!

Thanks, the box sits on a 32x32 baseplate so roughly the size of a modular building. All of the moving sections take up a fair bit of space.