Sign in to follow this  
Winchester

Greetings from Sweden!

Hi! I'm Winchester, and I've been building Lego off and on since the 80s, until I gave away most of my collection (it wasn't that huge) to a daycare center for lack of space (and lack of enough parts to actually build anything decent) back in 2000-ish. 

Recently I'm starting to get back into the hobby though through digital means - Lego on the computer has the distinct advantage of me not being able to lose pieces to the carpet monster or vacuum cleaner, and I'll never have to be afraid of stepping on a brick again. I tell myself that every time I start missing the feel of physical bricks... :)

I'm currently building a lot of trucks and fire engines and things - one of my neighbors is a former fire fighter, and my father is a retired long-haul trucker, which helps fuel my interest. 

I'd love to post some of my MOCs, but I'm not sure what the local definition of plagiarism is (basically, will I get hammered if I post the truck-dolly-trailer rig I just made because is uses the cab of a rather recognizable semi-tractor MOC I found online?) plus I can't really make instruction videos like the people I've been cribbing from do.... :) 

Welcome to EB, Winchester!  At least you donated your physical Lego to a good cause!  :classic:

As for as plagiarism, what I would do is consider posting your topic as a MOD (modification) rather than a MOC, but whether you do or not, just be sure to clearly recognize the builder of the cab that you're using.  Nothing wrong with saying, "I used XXXX's cab design and them made my trailer with these features..." - just acknowledge and then focus on the parts you did design yourself.

We all take inspiration from lots of different places and it would be hard to go back and credit every person who ever used an interesting new design that you've also used somewhere, but that's different than using a whole build verbatim.  Everyone here is pretty understanding so long as you make an effort and clearly aren't trying to pass off someone else's work as your own.  Happy (digital) building!  :classic:

Thanks for the reply!

Nice to know you guys actually have a tag for that, it's been so long since I looked up the glossary I'd forgotten there was a MOD tag too. I know what you mean about inspiration - I've been looking at official instructions and modding them to suit my needs because why reinvent the wheel?

Also, speaking of trucks, I found an official set (3321 Delivery Truck) that hadn't been built in LDD for some reason, but apparently I need a Brickshelf account to post it, and of course it's giving a server error when I try to register for one. :(

Update: Of course I wasn't finding the set in the list, I had the wrong number. It's 3221, not 3321. And it's been done twice and better than mine, so no point posting it again... :(

Edited by Winchester