Sign in to follow this  
Moz

Pedal powered quad bike

I've been thinking about rebuilding my quad bike with MTB fat tyre wheels so it performs better off road, but yesterday I was looking at pics from a friend who's been riding around Australia on a DIY solar power assisted trike. He's just switched to a fat tyre MTB with a trailer carrying the panels. So I started redesigning the quad in my head, from scratch, to have two suspended live axles, big wheels and a bigger but lighter bin on the back (current one is rotomolded plastic and is 12kg with the lid). Then I thought I'd better see whether the ideas worked at all, so I made a Lego "sketch".

quad-13_thm.jpg (website)

I've used beams to get lateral stability rather than panhard rods, because for a bicycle-based design that makes more sense. You can see where I fitted a panhard on the front, though. Live axles rather than independent suspension because I have a rigid rear axle on my current quad that I will move across, and it's easier to make the parts in my workshop. handlebars come straight up off the front axles because it's mechanically simpler than a series of linkages to bars on the main frame (my current quad does this).

quad-1.jpg

quad-2.jpgquad-3.jpgquad-4.jpg

Total build time about an hour :) This is more me thinking out loud than a proper MOC at this stage. I just wanted to see whether the idea would work.

Edited by Moz

And I thought I was crazy pulling a simple trailer..... :P

13961594661_c12e113a1d_b.jpg

To be fair it was over some pretty rough terrain:

13965179734_d189aa7652_b.jpgRiley-8013 by Riley Baker, on Flickr

Like the MOC, pity there aren't any thinner profile wheels (that I know of)

Love the MOC. Also appreciate the way your mind works "build it in lego before breaking out the welder"- brilliant!

Nice pictures Riley-NZL.