Phantom59

Flag ship model Earth moving scaper or a Grader

I would like to see lego bring out a scraper or a grader as a flag ship model

There has been frount end loaders, Back hoes, trucks and excavators

Of all machines I've worked on, graders tend to be the most intricate in terms of driveline and hydraulics. For sure, a grader a-la 8455 would be the perfect flagship. One can only wish/dream, yet with all the pneumatic components available today, a grader is not too far fetched an idea.

Edit: looks like we posted within seconds ... did not see your comment.

8455-1.jpg

Edited by DrJB

Hi,

i start my work on a Grader last Year in January. First on Bricksmith, than in real Lego. Its not impossible.

Here a Pictures.

post-137068-0-26615600-1457375552_thumb.jpg

That is real nice MOC, do you have an LDD file u could share? Or better yet, can u describe the various functions?

Now, one thing I noticed, it as about the articulation point. Some OEM put such point in front of the cab, others behind. When the articulation is behind the cab, the cab's weight gives the machine better traction in AWD or FWD. Which have you implemented?

Edited by DrJB

Hi,

sorry i won´t share the File in the moment.

The Grader have all functions of a real one.

Up/down the Rear Ripper

Up/down the front Dozer Blade

Rotate the Middle Blade

Up/down the middle Blade (left and right side seperate)

Turn the front right/left (the articulation piont is in under the cab)

Wheel lean front axle

Steering and driving :sweet:

Here a short video

Edited by AdamL

Thank you for sharing. I like how you implemented the tit of the front wheels (that's quite realistic) as well as the tilt and up down of the blade. Too bad THLG does not make a larger turntable. Now, typically there is no suspension and I'm not sure about the springs you have on the front axle. Also, it looks like the tandem wheels of the rear are driven by gears/chains, and this is quite realistic as well. The only aspect I am not sure about is the pivot point between front and rear chassis. I know on CAT/Deere, the pivot point is BEHIND the cab, whereas for Case and New Holland, the pivot is in FRONT of the cab. Each design has pros/cons (of course). Though, I am not sure if the Volvo is like you depicted. Great Job!

HI,

thank you.

you are right with the Springs on the Frontaxle. Is not real so. The Chain drive is real. But bye the original in a Casing and running in Oil. The articulation Point between the front and rear is not real. The this i have a little bit extempore. About the decals don´t worry.

This shard modell was the first one. I Build now the same but in 1:12,5 on more realistic. That is, a real front axle whitout Springs, real articulation Point and move the middle Blade left/right

When you can a little bit german you can read her about it.

http://www.doktor-brick.de/index.php/Thread/3202-MOC-Motor-Grader-nach-Volvo-G940C-Umbau-auf-1-12-5/

Thank you for the link. My german is very 'basic' ... but nothing Google translate can't help with.

I've contemplated the idea of a motor-grader for a while and to me, the one factor that dictates the scale is the turntable. In real machines, such component is fairly large whereas with Lego, one is 'stuck' with only one option ... unless we try a custom option a la efferman.

My English is not better.

The Turntable is realy to small. But i won´t big costum parts. The only Costum Part is my ModularLightCube (MLC).