Thanks so much, bublible and SylvainLS.

I made it like 1 minute after opening it

.... but did you have to change any angles to make the eighth side fit in? The hinges were placed correctly for that one at least, and I could match up one pair but the other pair simply wouldn't click.

it was much easier and quicker just switch those two types

OK, that sounds sensible but then I don't know how to switch a part - did you have to remove the black 2x4 plate each time, or is there a clever way you can point to a part and instantly change it for something else, even though it's sandwiched between other parts? As the construction becomes more complete, it's more and more difficult to get 'inside' it to change parts around.

And, indeed, it can be simpler: every edges of every triangles can be the same (one male and one female hinge, always in the same order).

Yes, you're probably correct. Though I had a feeling that when I made the original a couple of years ago, from real bricks, I tried that and because of the three-fold symmetry, something didn't work out correctly at the end. I'll try again though!

Yes, you're probably correct. Though I had a feeling that when I made the original a couple of years ago, from real bricks, I tried that and because of the three-fold symmetry, something didn't work out correctly at the end. I'll try again though!

When I said “indeed, it can,” I meant “I did it” :grin:

http://slswww.free.fr/icosaedre.lxf

No problem with the angles: connect “out of the way,” then rotate it a little to check the direction/sign (and if you have to adjust the value by ±90°, especially with clips), then enter the value in the field and you see everything connect.

I also made a clip version: LDD tends to have difficulties when you use several clips-handles connections as hinges (notably with “tile 1x1 with clip”) and I wanted to check that.

http://slswww.free.fr/icosaedre-clip.lxf