Sign in to follow this  
knight_40k

Question About Lego Store Grand Openings

There is a brand new Lego Store opening near my area (about 3 hours away) and I'm planning on going. They will be giving away t-shirts, limited edition figures and such if you spend a certain dollar amount. However there are limited quantities available. I have never gone to one of these and I have a few questions.

How many of you have experience with these events or have gone to one in the past?

How busy are these events and how early would you recommend I go to ensure I can get these freebies?

I was thinking of lining up one hour before opening, is this enough? Should I go earlier or is it even necessary to go before the store opens?

Any other information you could give would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, I haven't had good experiences in the past; the lines are so long even hours before the opening time, I was lined up outside. By the time I actually got in the store, they were out of the freebies :/ Hopefully you will have better luck...

Edited by legozebra

I went to a grand opening two or three years ago now, but it was a cool experience--if a crowded one. I think I got there some hour and a half or two hours early (And it was at like 8 or 0 on a Saturday morning), and that was a good choice, because the line was really, really long even then--I couldn't see the store for the longest time. They let groups of people in at once, so there was on average 40 or so people in the store.

Once I got in the store, it was incredibly crowded, and there was indeed a feeling of being rushed--you should go in with an idea of what you want to buy--to get the "free" item--but don't expect too many things like brand new sets to be floating around. Actually when I went there I was intending to buy Helms Deep, which had just started coming out, but the new Lego Store did not have any of the then new LotR sets. Having an idea of what you want to buy first is very helpful, because you really should just go in, grab it, and then get in the next line, that for purchasing.

As long as you get there early enough, and are not dilly dallying around, you'll get the free thingy. I managed to get the Micro Scale Lego Store model they were giving out. I do remember conversations with other people in line, where we were worried we'd not get the set, but it turned out we were like guests 200 out of the 500 sets they had or something, and we got their fairly early. As long as you get their early, you'll be able to get the exclusives.

I've been to a couple LEGO store grand openings. If it is the first LEGO store in your city then do get there early as possible as the line fills up really fast. By the 3rd LEGO store opening in my city, it wasn't quite as crazy as the novelty waned.

I am curious about how TLG calculates the gift with purchase amount. Let's say I buy a modular ($159) and redeemed $100 worth of VIP points, bringing the total to $59 + tax. Would I still get a gift with purchase if the qualifying amount is $99? There is a new LEGO store opening near me and I really want to try to get the mini Store model.

I am curious about how TLG calculates the gift with purchase amount. Let's say I buy a modular ($159) and redeemed $100 worth of VIP points, bringing the total to $59 + tax. Would I still get a gift with purchase if the qualifying amount is $99? There is a new LEGO store opening near me and I really want to try to get the mini Store model.

As far as I know VIP points count as real money. They are giving you the points to use, why would they care what day you redeem them? You could always call a Lego store or Lego customer support and ask.

I just wanted to let you guys know my trip was a success. I returned with 2 exclusive Lego stores and 1 pack of exclusive minifigs.

Thanks to everyone who gave me an idea of what to expect.