Sign in to follow this  
Hhmarshall

Smoke for PF Steam Trains

It shouldn't be too much trouble to add steam to a engine. I would try and find an old E-Cig or one of those mini-humidifiers from the dollar store and use that for your boiler. I'm sure a lot of the plastic on those can be taken off making it compact enough to fit inside. I don't know how you would set up the electrical though.

The humidifier would be something like this from Deal Extreme -> http://www.dx.com/p/...29#.VSnck_nF-kE

Edit: In the video cgarison linked it mentions the type of smoke generator is a Seuthe nr 6 smoke generator. They look like they can be a little pricey but its far more elegant than the mess I suggested.

Edited by Black Rabbit

I put a Seuthe #5 smoke generator in my model of #2926:

14474621534_8dfdc278e6.jpg

I have it hooked up to one of LEGO's rechargeable battery boxes hidden in the boiler. I spliced half of a short PF extension cable to the Seuthe generator's wires so it'll connect to the PF system, with a resistor along the way to keep the voltage low enough.

Fitting it in is a bit tricky. I'd originally designed it in such a way that I didn't have to modify any parts, but the smoke wouldn't come out since the vapor couldn't make it up the cross axle holes of two 2x2 round bricks... but since I'd already dropped a bunch of money on the electronics, I gave in and hollowed them out to get the generator high enough to steam freely.

It smokes decently, but not as smooth as Rebelego's. I should probably ask him for some pointers.