Sign in to follow this  
swintendo

[MOC] [WIP] 8408 desert ranger studless

8408_main.jpg?1248718620

Someone made the rebel wrecker, the claw rig and that little jeep thing in studless form. So inspired by that, i'm trying to 'unstud' the 8408. I've seen someone called Yipeeka make a really slick white remake of this, but i'm really trying to stay as close to the original as possible, trying to keep the functions and methods the same and so far it's working out okay.

Problem 1:

Should i use some panels? I mean panels are part of the studless design too, right? But it does take away from the original look of the model. Here's pictures of both.

post-135211-0-78223900-1425127045_thumb.jpg

Hi! Looking good. Use the panel parts like how LEGO used the plates and then just replace the studded bricks with liftarms. I think the first picture of the remake is the best.

One of my favorite sets when I was young (and still is). I still have it build (and al ittle dusty :look:) today. Love(d) the angles they managed with studded beams and how those angles manage to make a wheelarch at the front. Definitely go for the liftarms on the side imo. Though I'd put the top liftarm going to the front wheels 1 stud higher and then perhaps use a 2x2 plate to fill out the wheelarch like they did in the original.

Also: wow at the Yipeeka version of it :wub:

Edited by Appie

Here's the finished version. It could use some improvement on the wheel arches, nothing seemed to look right or fit without the wheels rubbing, and the roof isn't right, cause i don't have the right parts. But maybe i'll make instructions or a ldd file with the correct parts.

27xfinl.jpg

33eugi0.jpg

1z1r58j.jpg

aayo1g.jpg