Sign in to follow this  
andythenorth

"National Crane" outrigger designs?

Need to figure out a design for this style of outrigger, using large LA or gear rack.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QFDg1iyIjkE/S-ijP2nPUiI/AAAAAAAAAB0/Qxiw3eVzQ_M/s1600/outriggerpad3.jpg

Doesn't have to be technically accurate:

- could work by moving one of the hinge points using an LA or gear rack

- or by putting an LA in the outrigger arm

Truck uses 62.4 tyres, so 8285 sized. So outrigger needs to fit in about a 2x3 stud envelope, or it will look too big.

Needs to be actually capable of lifting the vehicle off the ground and holding it there. :classic: Sure it can be done, wondering who has the best solution? :wink:

I have an idea, but I need to know how big of an area you have. I understand the 2x3 stud envelope, but over than the envelope, how much room it there. I don't want to make something that wont fit on your truck.

here is what I came up with. It is bare bones and is not nicely colored, but the function is there. And it works just like the real thing. It requires no LAs, just some gears.

640x1009.jpg This is what it looks like when the outriggers are folded up

640x338.jpg this is what it looks like wit the outriggers out, again this is only a rough idea

640x480.jpg The shows the comparison between folded up and down

640x483.jpg This picture is the easiest to show how it works. A gear would be added to the longer dark grey axle, it would have to be geared down because it does not have a mechanical advantage. the gear would move the white beams downward and the outrigger moves outward and down.

Edited by aminnich