Noisemaker

Railway station with 2 rails spaced by only 2 or 4 stud: is it possibl

Hi all :)

I'm working on a railwaystation MOC, but I've some problem keeping the distance between the 2 parallel rail by 8 stud.

I know the lego rails geometry is very limiting and keep that distance will prevent any problem when the MOC will be inserted into a larger city or train show, but if I leave 8 stud between the rails my station will appear too much "large".

How can I solve that? There's any simple way to reduce it while keeping station compatible with dioramas and so on?

With some layout of course it is possible. I do believe you'd need flextracks though since conventional curves would be more resilient to achieving such a layout. I don't see a problem with 8 studs between the rails though, the space between seems just right - not too wide not too narrow.

Are you intending to build an island platform or a platform aside each track?

Assuming it's aside each track, there's no real issue with the distence between the lines, as long as you scale the width of the platforms to match. If the platforms are only 4 wide, it'll look weird, but make them wide enough, and it'll look OK.

The 12V system had track that were 0 studs apart (see their points/switches). You can have any distance apart it just depends on the width of your trains. If they are 6 studs with no 'sticking out bits' 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 will all work - it's what looks right.

Here are 3 examples:

06b6e9353193134.jpg d722ae353193295.jpg 28503f353193442.jpg

1) the standard 8 stud distance

2) 4 stud distance

3) 2 stud distance

In my opinion 8 stud is ok if you are planning to build platform between rails, but in my case is too much, because I'll put no platform between them.

I think 4 stud is a good solution (2 is too small isn't it?)

How about putting some lineside scenery (electrical boxes, ground signals, weeds, etc)?

Are you 9v track powered or RC/PF powered? If the latter, then just use the flexi track to push the track closer together (in the case of 9v, I'm afraid you'll just have to muck about with curve point and strait configurations until something works).

The moc is with PF rails so maybe I can try with flex rail... I need to do some experiments.

However it will be great if Lego will decide to release more rails to do create complex layouts...the actual rails are too limited :(

Chances are, they won't, but ME Models might answer that call when they start proper production.

So I got bored, and decided to look into designing a station as a display piece (and for possible later use on a layout)...

Platform1.png

At 1581 bricks (mostly 1x2 plates) it'll be expensive as it stands (especially as I'd need this baseplate plus 2 more with slopes at either end). The finished version will look to hide (and therefore not have to use) as much of the sides as possible, but I may still have to go for a slightly less scale brick finish.

Also, until it's officially part of a layout, I'll probably move the two tracks closer.

This style is entirly inspired by Michael Gale's work.

Edited by Redimus