DLuders

Preferences for 2012 Lego Technic Challenge Rules

What Should the 2012 Lego Technic Challenge Rules Be?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many weeks should the Challenge be open for entries?

• About 2-1/2 weeks (the same as in the 2010 & 2011 monthly Lego Technic Challenges)
    • Four weeks (to make the designers concentrate on their entries without delay)
    • Six weeks (to allow for needed parts to be bought from Shop.Lego.com or Bricklink)
    • Eight weeks (to allow for thoughtful, well-designed entries with the best parts selected)
  2. 2. Should the Challenge use ONLY the parts from the 9398 4x4 Crawler set?

• Yes (to design an alternate "C-Model" for the 9398 set)
    • No (using just those parts limits originality and innovation)
  3. 3. What should The Lego Group (TLG) do to reduce "plagiarized" entries, not submitted by the original designer?

• TLG should continue to require NEW photographs, with a "Take the Technic Challenge" poster visible in the picture.
    • TLG should have a method where plagiarized entries can be reported, so that they are quickly eliminated from the "Top 10" finals)
    • Entries should be accompanied by a SIGNED entry form that certifies that the entry was originally designed by the contestant, and not by somebody else.
  4. 4. If my Challenge entry does not have the desired COLORS, should TLG be willing to consider alternatives? I may not have "Lime Green" parts (for example).

• Yes (I may not have all of the parts in the desired colors in my built model)
    • No ("What You See Is What You Get" -- there is sufficient time to obtain the desired parts from Shop.Lego.com or Bricklink)
  5. 5. If my Challenge entry does not have the desired PARTS, should TLG be willing to consider alternatives? I may not have "Power Puller" wheels/tires (for example).

• Yes (I may not have all of the desired parts in my built model)
    • No ("What You See Is What You Get" -- there is sufficient time to obtain the desired parts from Shop.Lego.com or Bricklink)
  6. 6. Should the "4x4 Crawler" entry be REQUIRED to use Lego Power Functions (PF) elements?

• Yes (Crawlers should be motorized for maximum playability)
    • No (adding PF elements adds to the cost of the set, and reduces the "technical complexity" of the set by omitting gearboxes, fake engines, etc.)
  7. 7. What should the maximum "Price Point" of the new "4x4 Crawler" set be, to make it most attractive to potential buyers?

• USD $90 (currently ~70,51 Euros)
    • USD $100 (~78,35 Euros)
    • USD $110 (~86,18 Euros)
    • USD $120 (~94,01 Euros)
    • USD $130 (~101,85 Euros)
    • USD $140 (~109,68 Euros)
    • USD $150 (~117,52 Euros)
    • USD $160 (~125,35 Euros)
    • USD $170 (~133,19 Euros)
    • USD $180 (~141,02 Euros)
    • USD $190 (~148,86 Euros)
    • USD $200 (the cost of the 9398 4x4 Crawler set (~156,69 Euros)
    • More than USD $200 (> $156,69 Euros) -- TLG will know what their market will support
  8. 8. If there is enough time between the date the RULES are published and the Challenge ENTRY DEADLINE, I intend on submitting a 2012 Lego Technic Challenge entry.

• Yes (I want to try to get my MOC made into an official set!)
    • Maybe (depending on the Rules)
    • No (I don't have the time or talent to submit a good entry)
  9. 9. I have already begun thinking about a possible "4x4 Crawler" entry.

• Yes (I want to get a head start and submit my entry EARLY so that others cannot submit a similar design)
    • No (I don't want to waste my time before the Rules are published)
  10. 10. Should TLG allow more than one Challenge entry by one person?

• Yes (I think I have several good ideas for possible "4x4 Crawler" sets)
    • No (each person should submit their best entry, so that everyone has an equal chance)

As presented in this Eurobricks topic, there will soon be a 2012 Lego Technic Challenge to build a "4x4 Crawler" -- the winner gets to have it made into an official Lego Technic set!

Since it may be several weeks (until early October 2012?) before the 2012 Lego Technic Challenge Rules are made public, IN CASE THE LEGO GROUP IS OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS, what should the Challenge rules be? Select your answers above; your answers are private). Perhaps Jetro de Chateau (our Lego Ambassador) could forward the results to TLG's Jeppe Juul Jensen for consideration.

If you want to discuss any aspect of the potential rules, please add a reply below. Thanks!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120905005705/lego/images/thumb/f/f0/Mag14.jpg/1000px-Mag14.jpg

Edited by Ricecracker
Removed oversized photo

I like the initiative and have already mentioned it on the Ambassador forum. However, the rules are very likely to have already been completed and rigorously checked to see that LEGO can deliver what it promises. Your input here may be valuable to LEGO Technic, but the effect on the rules for this competition is likely to be zero. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see what everybody thinks about this beforehand and how this opinion compares to the actual rules when published.

My preference for an ideal technic set would be a set that comes with a huge number of models,

especially when the models are quite different from each other

(just like the set 10183 in the train theme, which has 30 AFOL-designed models).

It'd be nice if people built within the timeframe, rather than uploading something they'd prepared earlier.

Your input here may be valuable to LEGO Technic, but the effect on the rules for this competition is likely to be zero.

I'm fairly sure that TLG's Technic Designers visit this forum, and could possibly consider the AFOLs' suggestions. After all, there's a high probability that the winning entrant is active on this forum (recall past Lego Technic Challenge winners ZBLJ in 2010, and Sheepo in 2011). It does no harm to state our preferences here.... :wink:

Edited by DLuders

Although there is no proof (one way or another), the Lego Technic Design Team MAY have heeded MOST (but not all) of the Eurobricks AFOLs preferences for the 2012 Lego Technic Challenge:

1) We wanted at least 8 WEEKS to submit entries (and got ~3 months, until the end of December 2012). U02713.png

2) The Challenge DOES ALLOW for parts different from the standard 9398 set. U02713.png

3) TLG's method to deter plagiarized entries = ? (not known so far) ?

4) TLG is willing to consider different parts colors (even sketches). U02713.png

5) We preferred (by just a tad) to have the entries show the parts that AFOLs had on hand, but TLG is allowing sketches. X

6) The Challenge entry is REQUIRED to use Power Functions elements (since it will be based on the 9398's PF chassis). U02713.png

7) The maximum "price point" of the future set is at least USD $200 (~$156,69 Euros). U02713.png

8) Is more than one entry allowed per person? (not known so far) ? We preferred only one entry per person.

Edited by DLuders