Sign in to follow this  
kage28

Help needed: Emerald night modification

Hi all,

I am a total noob in Lego trains and recently I have just acquired the Emerald night, though I have yet to receive my shipment.

While searching for reviews and information on this set, I noticed there are some known problems, of which some solutions were proposed and tested with good results in an article in Railbricks issue number 7

Can anyone tell me exactly what bricks/ axles and how many of them to get in order to make the modifications? (1-3)

Thanks in advance!

Kage

And as someone who recently added a motor to my Emerald Night I'd like to report that it works great stock. I am sure improvements won't hurt but I don't find it at all lacking right out of the box. Just make sure you buy the correct motor. :)

And as someone who recently added a motor to my Emerald Night I'd like to report that it works great stock. I am sure improvements won't hurt but I don't find it at all lacking right out of the box. Just make sure you buy the correct motor. :)

Initially, mine also worked OK without modifications. Just like in the railbricks article, the problems didn't start until it had run for some amount of time. These problems can be solved (solutions have already been posted here on E.B.).

Apart from the solutions posted in railbricks, I would also recommend to put the rubber traction bands only on the rear driving wheels and not on the front driving wheels. This makes it go better through curves. The problem is that the wheels themselves have the correct width to go through curves, but the combination "wheels with traction bands attached" is too wide to drive smoothly through curves. The E.N. does ride a bit bumpy through curves (removing the front driving bands reduces the problem, but does not entirely eliminate it; you can't remove all traction bands because then it won't move anymore).