Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus304

Optimizing Friction

Hello all! I've been working on a train MOC lately and seem to have come to a part that can't be solved simply with bricks.

The biggest issue of the two is actually a LACK of friction. My engine runs fairly well until the axles in the flanged drivers start to slide out and block the coupling rods. I'm using the Large Drivers from the Emerald Night. The most obvious solution is of course glue, but to be perfectly honest I am very much against gluing my LEGO and especially in this case. What do you other train fans use to help keep the wheels/drivers in place? (To be more specific, my temporary layout has entirely left turns right now and the axles are sliding out the right side of the engine. The wheels themselves are staying in the right place but the axles are sliding out; switching out the axle doesn't seem to change anything)

Second issue is the usual, too much friction. The axles and coupling pins are grinding (Which seems to be pretty normal, looking around) and making some dust which is probably only making it worse. I've been watching another thread where different lubrication ideas are being discussed, but I'm not sure if there has been any conclusion yet.

Also! Any other pointers or suggestions regarding friction and the optimization thereof are welcome as well! Thanks and good day to you all!

for the first problem, I remember an article in one of the latest railbrick issues (nr. 7 or 8) that was fixing the same problem on the emerald night.

if I'm not wrong they suggested to use a thin layer of that plastic transparent paper used for foods (don't know the english name). cover the end of the axle and push it in the wheel.

hope it can help

have a nice train lego day

mrBlue

Paper, plastic pretty much anything (also glue :P) on the axles fixes the problem. Or use BB wheels. :)

Edited by vgo

Hello all! I've been working on a train MOC lately and seem to have come to a part that can't be solved simply with bricks.

The biggest issue of the two is actually a LACK of friction. My engine runs fairly well until the axles in the flanged drivers start to slide out and block the coupling rods.

On the 6 length axle, you have wheel, technic brick, 2 spots open, then a technic brick, and again a wheel.

On the open spots, you put technic bushes. Use the 1/2 width technic bush (item 4265) because they hold tighter than the 1-width bush (item 3713). Fill up all the room you have left on that axle (an axle with no gear will have room for 4 of them. That will definitely prevent the axle from sliding one way or the other!).