fallentomato

The Seventh Room (for Brickworld 08)

2620551076_2375047a4f.jpg

Poe is well known for his macabre stories, but "The Masque of The Red Death" always stood out in my mind because of it's gruesome imagery. When I decided I was going to Brickworld this year, it was too late to get together any large MOC, but I wanted to bring something so I made a room for the mansion project. "The Masque of The Red Death" takes place in seven very colorful rooms, but the only important room is the seventh one.

"The seventh apartment was closely shrouded in black velvet tapestries that hung all over the ceiling and down the walls, falling in heavy folds upon a carpet of the same material and hue. But in this chamber only, the color of the windows failed to correspond with the decorations. The panes here were scarlet -- a deep blood color."

Since the room is all black, I didn't see much point in trying to put in details like heavy folds of fabric - no one would be able to see them anyway. I did however make a couple chairs and the grandfather clock which is mentioned in the story.

2620551164_6da6f61059.jpg

"The figure was tall and gaunt, and shrouded from head to foot in the habiliments of the grave. The mask which concealed the visage was made so nearly to resemble the countenance of a stiffened corpse that the closest scrutiny must have had difficulty in detecting the cheat... But the mummer had gone so far as to assume the type of the Red Death. His vesture was dabbled in blood -- and his broad brow, with all the features of the face, was besprinkled with the scarlet horror."

2619727491_322b3474d6.jpg

The back wall had to be tan so it would match the rest of the mansion. I only had a few tan piece on hand (mostly the ones from The Lost Tomb) but I think they worked out pretty well.

2619727377_d7e7935d6e.jpg

And here's some pictures of the whole Mansion form Brickworld.

2618978234_540c988464.jpg

2618154475_3954e31bd0.jpg

It's a simple little MOC, but I hope you like it. Bigger pictures on flickr.

+Dave

Hey, I remember reading this short story once, ages ago! Sure was creepy...

As for the MOC, I really like it, despite it's unrealism. All the colors give it a real "masquerade" feeling. Some of the rooms do seem quite empty, though.