Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Planning Goonies moc

Hey there, as well as the pirate village Im currently working on, Im also getting ready to start a large dio based on the Goonies. It was one of my favourite films as a kid and the pirate ship at the end has allways been the classic pirate ship look for me. Ive always wanted to build the final scene of the ship trapped in the cave, as its such a great iconic scene from my childhood.

Ive decided that im going to build the ship first as I will know what size the cave needs to be from it.

Here's the problem, I can't seem to find any pictures pictures of the ship apart from a few from the film. I found out that it was a real full size ship that they built for the film that could sail. After filming they offered the ship for free to anyone who wanted it, but know one did and it was scraped. A shame, if it was today then there would have been lots of takers for it, but back then no.

Seeing as this is a classic piraty type movie I was wondering if anyone on here knows any sites with pictures of the ship set or shots of the construction? Any info would be really helpful as I want to make the ship as close as possible and I ve only found these side views:

goonies-pirate-ship.jpg

4333672643_e6e7e2f358_o.jpg

Any other pics or info on the ship would be really helpful, or if you know what type of ship its based on as im not good when it comes to ships.

I'd like to make this model as good as possible, thanks.

DC

I remember that movie!

I found a couple more shots, including a decent detail picture of the stern.

Inferno.jpg

2449113491_caf687859e.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about this ship, but according to imdb it was based on Errol Flynn's ship the Albatross from the movie The Sea Hawk (1940). It seems that the Albatross was a British privateer.

It looks like some Goonie fans have also done research on this.

I hope it's ok to link this:

Goonies forum topic

From the hull form/rigging/etc it looks like a British galleon to me. A decent analog might be the Golden Hind (Sir Francis Drake's ship), but that ship has a vastly different style of decoration. Since the Sea Hawk is set during the reign of the Spanish King Philip II, it's from the same period as the Golden Hind.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the ship's name is the Inferno.

Edited by cb4

Nice one cb4! Those are great, as I wasn't sure weather there way any pattern design on the back of the stern but I can see there is now. The link is interesting as it seems the miniture of this ship still exists and there are a few shots.

I figured the ship design was a bit older then the ones most people build on here. I'll give those earlier ships a look, as I maybe able to find a good pic to help with the shape and design.

Thanks

DC

Pictures of this ship are hard to find. But as you said, other ships of that period may be helpful too.

For example the Half Moon, the Golden Hind, the Susan Constant II, theMayflower and perhaps even the Batavia and Vasa.

They were built in more or less the same way as the Inferno, so for things like deck details they may be useful.

Good luck!

I'm glad you decided to build another ship! :thumbup:

As Admiral Croissant said already, checking out similar historic ships will probably be most helpful.

Are you planning to build this in minifig illusion scale? If so, then I guess the Galleon of CGH and Bonaparte will be an inspiration, especially the stern construction!

Good luck with the build, your MOCs are always a pleasure to look at!

I can't believe you are going to do this. That's one massive project. The goonies has always been one of my favorite movies ever! Can't wait to see the ship and the huge cave and the figs ofcours!

Thanks for the help and info guys!

Pictures of this ship are hard to find. But as you said, other ships of that period may be helpful too.

For example the Half Moon, the Golden Hind, the Susan Constant II, theMayflower and perhaps even the Batavia and Vasa.

They were built in more or less the same way as the Inferno, so for things like deck details they may be useful.

Good luck!

Thanks, these are helpful. From what I can see, the Inferno looks like a cross between the Golden Hind and the Mayflower. It has most in common with the Hind, but has the stern of the Mayflower as it lack the little fence/walkway that goes round the stern. I do like that look however, so might add that anyway. I think im going to use the Hind as my inspiration, as theres a replica in London that I can go check out.

I'm glad you decided to build another ship! :thumbup:

As Admiral Croissant said already, checking out similar historic ships will probably be most helpful.

Are you planning to build this in minifig illusion scale? If so, then I guess the Galleon of CGH and Bonaparte will be an inspiration, especially the stern construction!

Good luck with the build, your MOCs are always a pleasure to look at!

Thanks, I will deffinitly be building in minifig illusion scale, otherwise I will get extremly bored with the frustrating long task of building a huge grey cave to house it. As it is, for minifig illusion scale, the cave will still work out around 5ft wide and 4ft deep, and thats still a lot tedious BURP stacking.

Im basing the ship on the Golden hind, and after doing a bit of research ive found those type of ships where a lot smaller then the big Nelson era ships that everyone builds on here. So im thinking 3 mid-section hull pieces would be about right. The English ships where much smaller than the Spanish ships they fought.

I can't believe you are going to do this. That's one massive project. The goonies has always been one of my favorite movies ever! Can't wait to see the ship and the huge cave and the figs ofcours!

Yeah its one of my favs, always wanted to build something from this movie. I was originaly going to build a small scene with the skull piano, but decided to go for the ultimate. Not sure what im going to do fig wise, but I know creating Sloth will be a challenge.