Hi everyone...totally new here, but have searched and searched online with google yahoo etc...and i keep getting brought here, but no one seems to mention my specific issue, which i'm hoping is a good sign and implies that i'm probably just doing something wrong....

Anyway, i just got LDD and have been playing around with a very simple geared design to start with...and for the purpsoses of keeping it simple, let's keep my problem to it's most basic...i have 2 axels running through a technic beam/crossbar (the one that are just like bricks with studs on top and the holes along the side length of it....the axels in tis example are spaced with 2 empty holes between them and both have the same 24T gears mounted and the teeth are visibly aligned (don't even know if this is something i need to worry about or if should happen on it's own), but when using the hinge tool to test the motion, when i grab the "driver" axel and gear and turn it, the connected gear and output axel DOES NOT react, as if the two gear teeth were not engaging properly, but they are...there are no additional pcs impeding the free movement of the gear or the axel to which it is mounted. And just to test, i tried using the intended output axel/gear as the driver with the hinge tool and even though it moves perfectly with the tool, the engaged gear won't leaving it's axel and everything connected completely without motion....

I have checked looking for settings to see if this is something to be turned on or what....but with the hinge tool i can otherwise simulate all the movements of everything else connected ....just not at any point where there are connecting gears...

am i doing something wrong?

I'm on a mac 10.6.8 and have just downloaded the ldd from lego's site within the last week so it's the latest....

And again a reminder that i'm new so please any help should be complete and addressed for an LDD layperson step 1-whatever the final step is...this would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Hi everyone...totally new here, but have searched and searched online with google yahoo etc...and i keep getting brought here, but no one seems to mention my specific issue, which i'm hoping is a good sign and implies that i'm probably just doing something wrong....

Anyway, i just got LDD and have been playing around with a very simple geared design to start with...and for the purpsoses of keeping it simple, let's keep my problem to it's most basic...i have 2 axels running through a technic beam/crossbar (the one that are just like bricks with studs on top and the holes along the side length of it....the axels in tis example are spaced with 2 empty holes between them and both have the same 24T gears mounted and the teeth are visibly aligned (don't even know if this is something i need to worry about or if should happen on it's own), but when using the hinge tool to test the motion, when i grab the "driver" axel and gear and turn it, the connected gear and output axel DOES NOT react, as if the two gear teeth were not engaging properly, but they are...there are no additional pcs impeding the free movement of the gear or the axel to which it is mounted. And just to test, i tried using the intended output axel/gear as the driver with the hinge tool and even though it moves perfectly with the tool, the engaged gear won't leaving it's axel and everything connected completely without motion....

I have checked looking for settings to see if this is something to be turned on or what....but with the hinge tool i can otherwise simulate all the movements of everything else connected ....just not at any point where there are connecting gears...

am i doing something wrong?

I'm on a mac 10.6.8 and have just downloaded the ldd from lego's site within the last week so it's the latest....

And again a reminder that i'm new so please any help should be complete and addressed for an LDD layperson step 1-whatever the final step is...this would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Can you post your .lxf somewhere so we can actualy see what you mean and test it?

LDD doesnt not support roataing gears, but there is a trick I know:

Ok,,,,so i'm in suspense awaiting the secret trick......

Also, this kind of confuses me as i've gone on to youtube to find and answer to this question and i see people getting connected gears to move on their ldd extended with the hinge tool....so there's gotta be more to it ...

Can you post your .lxf somewhere so we can actualy see what you mean and test it?

yes i can....not just yet though, i just found this forum this morning at work, and have to get the lxf file from home, so i'll export and attach to my question later tonight....

but yeah, the simplest way to look at it is if at any point in connected motion there are connected gears, the motion works fine up the first (driver) gear, but then whatever connected gears etc, do not respond....

sorry about that for some reason the video hadn't loaded right off the first time, though i do see it now...so lo and behold, you are the creator of the video that is the one that has pulled up everytime I try to search this on youtube.com....and yours is ONE of the videos that has come up, giving me the evidence i need to know gears can work in ldd...

So now watching it again, finally it makes sense....i was unclear what all the red connections that were hidden were for....now i get it...much to my disappointment...

So I am correct then that the seeing the gears move together is not because of their virtual/physical interconnection by gear teeth, but instead due to some unseen additional connectivity with axels and such..... is that right?

If so, thanks for the help.... and grateful as I am, i have to say i'm majorly disappointed in LDD, that it doesn't already support gear meshing....

Have you heard any word if this is a change that will be updated/improved in ldd 5? release dates for ldd 5? and is there really no other way around this other than creating an entirely separate but connected structure to make connected gears move "together" with the Hinge tool?

Edited by jamilmereck