Sign in to follow this  
Vorkosigan

An Experiment on Brick Yellowing by Sunlight

I was recently inspired to do a simple test on the effect of sunlight on brick yellowing. This May I had new windows installed in my house and this has resulted in more time with the curtains open enjoying the views and sunlight. I started to worry about the effect of sunlight on my MOCs and trays of bricks for builds in progress. The new windows have a coating that is supposed to improve energy efficiency, its called "SmartSun" glass. I also wondered if this would reduce the risk to the bricks. So what I did was place 4 sets of brand new white bricks in various sun exposure conditions. All were on the south side of the house for the last 6 weeks (summer in my area). The white bricks sandwiched by red bricks were taped to the outside of a window directly exposed, the blue were just inside the same window. The yellow set was behind a patio door with glass that is approximately 25 years old. And the black set was left in the dark the whole time.

The results are essentially a lack of results, I saw no yellowing on any of the bricks, see pictures below. Now 6 weeks is not the same as years, and bricks mounted vertically are not the same as a build that is actually outside with the sun beating directly down on them. But for my purposes of concern about LEGO being exposed a few hours a day, indirectly through a window, this 6 weeks of continuous exposure is equivalent to at least several years worth. I'm still going to avoid excessive exposure to sunlight for my builds, but this definitely reduced my concern.

B6c9B94h.jpg

UmbWTVPh.jpg

Yeah, it must take longer for bricks to yellow. Maybe keep it under for another 6 months, you know For Science!

The trouble is that ABS plastic is really complex in terms of structure, which means that not all batches of plastic will behave the same way. Typically, when I see a model start to yellow, it's because a few bricks here and there start yellowing-- it doesn't happen all at the same time. Some pieces are more resistant to yellowing than others.

It would probably be a good idea to test with a variety of different types of elements, rather than just 2x4 bricks (quite possibly from the same batch). Try a small bunch of them, like a 1x1 brick, 1x2 brick, 1x3 brick, 1x4 brick, and the same sizes in plates, all stacked up in a 1x5 rectangle. That way, it's more likely that each one came from a slightly different batch of plastic, and are more likely to yellow at different rates.

DaveE

I would also suggest that you try this with plates. Perhaps how thin the brick is could influence the rate of yellowing. Something about ratio of surface area to volume?