Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Evolution of a Classic Town Design

Recently, I've been working on my Comprehensive Visual Index of Decals, adding new ones and modifying old ones to make new things. I'm adding new things every day and have been for a couple of weeks, things that I don't create devoted threads for. Usually.

In this case, I'm doing something a little different: showing how standard designs can be merged and adapted to create something new.

I started with a Dark Forestman. It's a long out of production design that is always popular. It has a very useful shirt with a modifiable collar. Here it is in a variety of colours. More are in the index.

Dark Forestman: Original and Recolours (Brown, Green, Blue)

dkforest_original.png_thumb.jpg dkforest_green.png_thumb.jpg dkforest_blue.png_thumb.jpg

Then I took the vest/sweater from a very simple train design from 1995:

train4_orig.png_thumb.jpg

And extracted the pockets from this 1979 design:

button2_orig.png_thumb.jpg

Put it all together, and what have you got?

vestjacket_pockets_blues.png_thumb.jpg vestjacket_pockets_greens.png_thumb.jpg vestjacket_pockets_reds.png_thumb.jpg

Mr. Rogers! Well, a generic sweater and shirt wearing guy. It wouldn't be hard to Fred Rogers it up with some buttons instead of the zipper. Matter of fact, I have those parts right here ...

*camera fades*

See? That's how it works. Try it sometime, it's a lot of fun and incredibly easy and you never know what you might end up with.

Hey IS, this is really cool. I'm somewhat new to the MCW, so I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are you just using Photoshop with each shirt a layer? Then modifying it a little?

Either way, the effect you present to us here is quite amazing at how something so original can come from everyday torsos.

Three cheers for ImperialShadows!

Hey IS, this is really cool. I'm somewhat new to the MCW, so I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are you just using Photoshop with each shirt a layer? Then modifying it a little?

Either way, the effect you present to us here is quite amazing at how something so original can come from everyday torsos.

Three cheers for ImperialShadows!

That would make it easy, but alas, no. In the first example, you have to seperate the strap from the collar manually, then edit out the original strings. Since there would have been no real reason to create the original in layers, I have to make the adjustment myself. LEGO likes to put details against each other in the same colour (usually black), so it's just a bit of chopping out and creating a shape that seems to fit the intent of the piece you're keeping.

The rest is just a lot of copying and recolouring. No fancy methods employed.

I think that's what you were asking.

It wasn't the most prolific example, but it was intended to convey a sense of possibility, which I think you picked up. :thumbup:

...but it was intended to convey a sense of possibility, which I think you picked up. :thumbup:

I certainly did. Well thank you very much ImperialShadows. Perhaps I'll get a chance to play with making my own ones of these when I get some spare time. But if I do, I promise you'll be the first to know. :pir-wink:

Thanks

wow, nice modified decal never thought you could do that with a forestman torso.

i did a similar thing for some custom inferno agents(hope you don't mind :sweet: ) if you want i could give you the link to check them out for yourself.

i did a similar thing for some custom inferno agents(hope you don't mind :sweet: ) if you want i could give you the link to check them out for yourself.

Sure, start a thread and we'll all take a look! :thumbup: