Sign in to follow this  
The Middleman

Review: 4768 Harry Potter - Durmstrang Ship

Yes, I am going to torture you (or at least those of you that are awake). The reviews that HAVE NOT been done will be last. So cruel!

Let's get started, then.

Durmstrang Ship

Ahhh... the majestic vessel!

100_0094_r1.jpg

Figures

100_0096.jpg

They both come with the same torso, obviously. I wish the heads weren't flesh tone - I like the faces. The hats, not so much - sherpas, and that's it. Neither Viktor nor Karkaroff comes with spare hair.

The Ship

The bow. Nothing special.

The anchor. You'll notice they like to use black chains in this line. I'm all for it!

Crow's nest numero uno. I LOVE those banners. It's great to have cloth flags back again! Not so much the baby blue color of the crow's nests... But some things you just have to roll with. The masts aren't as bad in black as tan - they're actually growing on me. Admit it or not, you can do more with this mast than an old pirate mast.

The shields and side. Nice! Chrome gold 1x1 round plates. Sparkly... The shields are fantastic, not much else to say. Two of each.

The deck doorways. The pearl gold window panes are darker than I expected, but still neat. Not much to say about this pic.

The diving board. It's funny... I never sprang off the back of a diving board before.

The back! This is an odd little section - I don't know what to make of it. I'm feeling like trying out those horn-ish things on the horntail, though...

Crow's nest numero dos. Another nice shot of those banners. Point of interest - three black lances.

The second deck with the cabin removed. The jumper plates help the cabin rest so that the hinges it uses don't bump against the railing. It's pretty nifty. Note the inclusion of a sparkling new old-style map.

Side one of the cabin. Blue goblet! Red book!

Side two. I adore that new scroll piece. Letter, as well, and a blay frying pan.

Back/side of the cabin. Somehow I neglected to take a photo of only the front... let it be on record that it has two small black doors that I'm all over. Note - once you close the cabin, a figure won't fit in. You are warned! It's tiny.

Interior of the deck cabin. It's pretty cool. I like the top one better, though.

The back, in particular, is not good.

Gotta love those secret desks.

The hold. Woo?

The cabin, illustrating the ways all the removable pieces interact. Hopefully you get it. I was wrong - I did get a shot of the doors! Neat.

Ok, and now...

The Final Verdict: 8.5/10

Figures: 5/10 (too few!)

Playability: 8/10

Build: 9/10 (minus one point for the hull)

Pieces: 10/10 (you may say 'what about the hull!?' That's two pieces out of what, 550?)

Two words: buy it.

Next: Graveyard Duel! I'll expose some aspects that you may not have seen...

Bloody Jay, how do you do it? You crank out reveiws like no one has ever seen before! Your reviews are fantastic!

Step One:

Conveniently forget to spend your lunch money on lunch.

Step Two:

Conveniently 'find' said lunch money in old pair of jeans.

Step Three:

Have loving parents order sets using said money as soon as they are available.

Step Four:

Conveniently neglect to tell said parents that your Civics and Economics project is not done, and conveniently neglect to correct their assumptions that it is.

Step Five:

Forego all idea of sleep. Period. Ever.

It's as simple as that! :-D

When you said that you were going to torture us i thought you would do so sort of lame megablocks picture editing then stick it on the front page and take a week to restore it, in a desprate bid to get more hits per week.....how rubbish would that of been thank god nobody would do that...... :|

Oh good review by the way :)

I guess it can float as the hulls are from the 4+ Pirate Line. However, the floating function is not mentioned on the box.......... so u'll have to try it yourself........ i don't wanna risk my Durmstrang ship to sink like the Titanic

What I like about this set are:

1. The cabin.

I like the fully opened/accesible concept (though all the detachings would make ur LEGO pieces beome loose).

I like the architectural design of the windows (though the windows can't be opened due to the same reason). (Sorry, I know I'm ironic..... hehehe)

I like the chrome and trasparent round dishes.

2. The deck cabin.

The interior is well-designed and the doorways of the deck looks great to me too. The doorways are high enough for the minifigs to enter into the deck cabin (unlike the red-arc-structure on the 2nd deck)

3. The slanted poles and the banners

My complaints are:

1. Too few minifig.

2. The deck is empty......

3.The hull of the ship could be made of 3 pieces (like the 7075 Captan Redbeard's Pirate Ship) so that it would be a larger ship (I prefer larger sets though it would cost much higher)

4. The tan and light blue colours. The ship looks great in these colours but I thought the Durmstrang ship should not be so bright-coloured as the Durmstrang school is prone to dark magic.... their ship should be in the colour which would create so sense of mystery...... However, I should have waited to comment on the colour until I've watched the HP IV movie.